Women of O'Melveny
O'Melveny's Women’s Initiative has evolved from a number of different efforts. We have learned that supporting the development, retention and promotion of women requires a multifaceted approach. As a result, the Firm now has an array of programs knitted together to achieve these goals.
- Women’s Leadership Academy -- a global, offsite retreat that brings together partners and counsel who are members of our Women Attorney Networks, as well as members of Firm Leadership, clients, and alumni;
- Women’s Advisory Board;
- Employee Network Groups -- including Women Attorney Networks in every O’Melveny geographic region;
- CustOMMize -- a comprehensive flexible work program that includes job sharing, sabbaticals, flex-time, telecommuting, and a progressive reduced workload policy;
- Back up child and elder care;
- Momentum One -- a video-conferenced coaching program that supports attorneys returning to work following a leave of absence;
- Business development, leadership, and career development coaching; and
- Lateral recruiting
The Women’s Initiative recognizes that there is no one solution to the challenges that women attorneys face. To provide all of our women attorneys with the tools and support necessary to succeed, the Firm realized the need for a holistic approach that looks at the life cycle of a women’s career at the Firm and identifies the key experiences that would benefit from intervention and attention. The Women’s Initiative recognizes that we have to attract experienced women to the Firm, grow women at the Firm, address unique development needs and family responsibilities, and create a strong network for our women that, for some, persists beyond their career at the Firm. Only when all of these facets of work/life and professional development are explored and systematically addressed will we succeed in retaining our women attorneys and progressing them into all levels and roles at the Firm.
Through these efforts we are gaining ground in enabling the personal and professional growth of our women attorneys. In 2012, the Firm held its second Women’s Leadership Academy, which was jointly planned by the Women’s Advisory Board and members of our seven Women Attorney Networks. Our next Women’s Leadership Academy is scheduled for 2014.
In 2013, O’Melveny was named to Flex-Time/Working Mother Magazine
’s “50 Best Law Firms For Women” list. Additionally, WorldAtWork’s Alliance for Work-Life awarded O’Melveny its prestigious “Work-Life Seal of Distinction.” O’Melveny is one of only two AmLaw 100 law firms to receive the distinction. The seal is a mark of excellence designed to identify employers who demonstrate leadership in workplace strategies and practices that help employees achieve success at work and in their personal lives.