Several O'Melveny policies and programs designed to benefit all of our lawyers, such as our work coordination program, mentoring programs, and reduced workload policy, may hold particular benefits for women and other traditionally underrepresented groups within the Firm. Complementing those programs is an expanding group of programs developed specifically with women in mind, such as our Women's Leadership Academy and WomenConnect site.
Women’s Leadership Academy
O'Melveny hosts a recurring Women's Leadership Academy where our women partners and counsel, Firm leaders, alumni, and clients convene to celebrate and promote women's leadership at O'Melveny and in the legal profession, discuss issues important to the Firm's women lawyers, and network. Distinguished guests, including prominent business leaders and experts on women’s professional success, provide learning and inspiration.
Women's Affinity Groups
Women's Affinity Groups are active in nearly every O'Melveny office, where they organize local networking, mentoring, community outreach, recruiting, and career-building events. Recent Women's Affinity Group-sponsored events include panels with alumni, clients, and business leaders, and discussions on topics including work/life effectiveness, professional development, business development, communication skills, and leadership challenges and opportunities for women.
The WomenConnect Group is a part of OMMConnect, O’Melveny’s alumni Web site. The WomenConnect Group is an interactive communication platform where women and men in the extended O'Melveny community who support the goals of the women's initiative can network, and share news and achievements.
If you are a current O'Melveny lawyer or an alumnus, and would like to visit the WomenConnect Group, you can do so by clicking here
Business Development: Tools for Success
We strive to equip all of our lawyers with the tools to successfully retain, attract, and secure new business. As part of that effort, we offer courses that speak to the specific training interests of our women lawyers, drawing on the experience of leading business development consultants and our own stellar women rainmaker role models.
Partnerships and Sponsorships
As a complement to our internal efforts, O'Melveny sponsors and supports a variety of organizations that promote the retention, advancement, and leadership of women in the legal profession.
- The National Association of Women Judges (NAWJ) is the nation's leading voice for women jurists dedicated to preserving judicial independence. It helps ensure equal justice and access to the courts for women, minorities and other historically disfavored groups, along with providing judicial education on cutting-edge issues, and increasing the numbers and advancement of women judges at all levels. O'Melveny is a Landmark Sponsor for the NAWJ, and two of our partners serve on NAWJ's Resource Board.
- The National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL) supports and advances the interests of women in and under the law and works toward the social, political, and professional empowerment of women. One of our partners serves on NAWL's Planning Committee.
- DirectWomen, a joint project of the American Bar Association, the ABA Section of Business Law, and Catalyst, is a program specifically designed to identify, develop, and support a select group of accomplished women lawyers to provide qualified directors needed by the boards of US companies, while promoting the independence and diversity required for good corporate governance. Two O’Melveny alumnae have been selected for the first DirectWomen class.
- The Women in Law Leadership Academy (WILL) is presented by the American Bar Association's Commission on Women, the Section of Litigation, and the Young Lawyers Division. The WILL Academy offers an opportunity for women lawyers who have practiced for 10 years or less to interact with a diverse faculty of leading lawyers and judges from around the country. The WILL Academy's primary focus is career and legal skills development with an eye toward leadership.
- Catalyst is a leading research and advisory organization that advises businesses and professions in ways to build inclusive environments and expand opportunities for women at work. We are partnering with Catalyst to explore and implement best practices in this area within O'Melveny.
- The No Glass Ceiling Initiative, to which we are a signatory, is The Bar Association of San Francisco's eight-point pledge to take concrete action to achieve firmwide progress in women's retention and advancement to partnership and leadership positions.