is a counsel in O’Melveny’s San Francisco office and a member of the Appellate Practice. She focuses on appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the California appellate courts, as well as cases in the U.S. Supreme Court. She also has extensive trial experience, including participation in three cases tried to verdict, and has taught at the University of Michigan Law School. Anna Rose clerked for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Judge Michael Boudin.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- United States v. US Airways. Coordinated legal writing and motions practice for US Airways’ lead counsel team that defended the company’s multibillion dollar merger with American Airlines against an antitrust challenge by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- J.Q. v. T.B. Argued successful appeal on a significant jurisdictional issue of first impression in California—whether trial courts can award interim spousal support before resolving a restraining order petition—which will help domestic violence survivors throughout the state.
- Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. Co-authored amicus brief on behalf of the Guttmacher Institute in the high-profile Supreme Court contraception mandate case; the brief was cited extensively by both the Solicitor General in his brief on behalf of the United States and in the principal dissent.
- Tomel v. State of Hawaii. Argued successful Ninth Circuit appeal on jurisdictional issue concerning the appealability of trial court orders before entry of judgment.
- Larson v. Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. Played a key role on the O’Melveny team that obtained a “grand slam” victory for clients Warner Bros. and DC Comics at the Ninth Circuit in the long-running Superman copyright litigation.
- Tibble v. Edison International. Played a key role on the O’Melveny team that obtained a victory on several high-stakes issues before the Ninth Circuit in an ERISA class action.
- Worked on numerous criminal trials, appeals, and motions hearings, including winning acquittal on all counts after five-week securities fraud trial for a hedge fund manager and winning acquittal on all counts in criminal conspiracy case.
- Drafted successful petitions for interlocutory appeal under in multiple federal circuits.
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court of the United States, 2005-2006; Chief Judge Michael Boudin, US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2003-2004 Board of Directors,
Family Violence Appellate Project; previously served as Co-President of the Family Violence Appellate Project's New Leadership Council Lecturer,
Criminal Law, University of Michigan Law School, 2008 Amicus Administrative Coordinator,
National Association of Criminal Defense LawyersMember,
E.J.M. Inn of Court Temple Bar Scholar,
London, England, 2004 Admitted to Practice,
US Supreme Court; US Courts of Appeals for the Third, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits; US District Courts for the Central and Northern Districts of California