is Of Counsel in O'Melveny's Los Angeles office. The primary focus of his practice is chapter 11 reorganizations and out-of-court workouts, representing major creditors and business debtors.
Ben is recognized by Chambers and Partners USA
as one of the leading insolvency/corporate recovery lawyers in California, was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
, and also is listed in the Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides
as a leading insolvency and restructuring lawyer. Chambers
reports that Ben is "extremely talented" and “a seasoned and highly respected authority in the bankruptcy field,” “takes an extremely practical approach” and that he is “highly engaging and communicative, which makes him superb when it comes to highly fraught multiparty situations where building consensus is a must. He can also take on an army of attorneys alone and win.”
Illustrative Professional Experience
California, District of Columbia
- Lecturer, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Bankruptcy (Law 256.6F), Spring Semester 2014
- Lecturer, University of California at Los Angeles, School of Law, Business Bankruptcy (Law 248), Fall Quarter 2015
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America consistently since 1995
- Ranked by Chambers (USA) consistently since 2003 as a leading insolvency lawyer
- "Southern California Super Lawyer" as selected by Los Angeles Magazine since the inception of such rankings
Author and Speaker.
- Financial Lawyers Conference, President (2014-2015); Vice President (2013-2014); Secretary (2012 - 2013); Board of Governors (2009-present)
- Lawyer Representative on the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference (term: 2012 - 2016)
- Debtor/Creditor Relations Committee of the State Bar of California (1986-1991)
Frequent speaker and author including recent presentations on derivatives in bankruptcy, fiduciary duties, portfolio company restructurings, prepayment premiums, repurchase agreements, and debt subordination.