Our mission is to provide you with new skills and a solid foundation from which to begin your legal career. We provide substantive training for our summer associates through courses on legal research, writing, and transactional work, as well as out-of-office experiences, in which associates accompany O'Melveny lawyers to deal closings, client meetings, and court appearances.
Summer associates participate in some or all of the following programs:
- Legal Writing: Summer associates learn how to write a legal brief and a successful summer associate memo.
- Deposition Basics: Summer associates take and defend a mock deposition in front of a real court reporter.
- Oral Advocacy Institute: Summer associates spend a week developing a trial or appellate case and presenting argument before distinguished judges, law professors, and government lawyers.
- Negotiating Techniques: Summer associates learn specific negotiating strategies and techniques.
- Mock Deal: Summer associates recreate and negotiate a corporate transaction.
- Practice Area Presentations: Summer associates listen to partners from various practice areas explain their practices and discuss their major cases or transactions.
- Law Firm Management & Economics: Summer associates learn about the Firm’s economic and management structure, upcoming initiatives, benefits and compensation, diversity efforts, and values.