The Asia Summer Experience
O’Melveny’s summer program in our Asia offices is very similar to the program in our US offices, but with the added benefit of exposure to practicing in emerging markets. The program provides those considering a career in law with a realistic view of what it is actually like to practice law, and most importantly, what it is like to practice law at O’Melveny, in an international arena.
The summer program in our China offices (Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai) typically runs ten weeks. It is possible to split your summer between two O’Melveny China offices, spending five weeks in each office.
Students participating in our summer program in Tokyo often split their summers with a US office. You will spend at least the first five weeks of the summer in one of our US offices, followed by five weeks in Tokyo. Students who wish to work in Tokyo must interview on two interview schedules during on campus interviews; one schedule representing our Asia offices and the other representing one of our US offices. For example, if you interview on the Asia office schedule, you’ll also need to interview on the Washington, DC office schedule. Although we generally do not expect to hire first-year associates to be resident in our Tokyo office, the experiences gained will provide a solid foundation to students with an international mindset who go on to practice in an O’Melveny office in the US.
Our Singapore office does not have a summer program for which we conduct interviews during on-campus interviews.
Summer Program Information
- Compensation: Our 2012 summer associates were paid $3,100 per week.
- Commitment: We require you to spend ten full weeks with us if you are interested in our China offices, or five weeks at the beginning of your summer in one of our US offices, followed by five weeks in Tokyo if you are interested in our summer program in Tokyo.
- Training: Each office plans training programs to expose summer associates to the fundamentals of legal practice as well as programs designed to familiarize them with Firm life. Summer associates are also invited to attend most of the training programs offered to our attorneys. The Asia Summer Program offers a unique experience for law students who wish to learn more about practicing law in Asia.
- Social events: Attorneys at O’Melveny enjoy getting to know the summer associates and want the summer associates to get to know them as well. We plan social events during your summer so that you can learn more about your colleagues and build strong working relationships.
- Travel and Living Expenses: O’Melveny will pay for your travel expenses to and from the Asia office. We will also assist you in finding housing. As in all of our offices, living expenses will not be reimbursed.
- Associate Offers: Offers to join an Asia office will be based on the office’s needs. It is rare for our Tokyo office to hire a first-year associate. However, working in an Asia office can greatly increase a student’s likelihood of working in an international legal environment later in their career.
Hong Kong - 2013 Summer Internship & 2015 Trainee Solicitor Programme
How will you choose the law firm where you begin your career? Its international presence? The reputation of its lawyers? The quality of its work? The training it provides?
At O’Melveny, we provide opportunities for the best and brightest lawyers to do the most sophisticated and exciting legal work available. They will work alongside some of the most seasoned leaders in the industry including former in-house lawyers at prestigious investment banks, private equity firms, Fortune500 corporations, various high-level US government posts, among others. From private equity transactions to cross-border litigation, from high profile securities offerings to complex large scale mergers and acquisitions or restructurings, our practice spans the globe and, at the same time, helps our local communities.
We have one of the most innovative talent development programmes of the international law firms and we are committed to providing interns and trainees with a realistic experience of what it’s like to practice law in an environment that has been described as an “exceptional place to practice.” After working with the Firm’s partners on serious assignments for real clients, you will appreciate that being a lawyer is hard work, but we anticipate you will also discover it is one of the most rewarding careers you can choose.
Our lawyers are consistently described as “genuinely friendly,” “collegial,” and “interesting.” This is no accident. We make a concerted effort to recruit well-rounded individuals who have lives outside the office.
The application for our 2013 summer internship and 2015 trainee solicitor programme is now open. Vacancies:
Trainee Solicitors: 2 to 3
Summer Interns: 5 to 6 Deadlines:
Summer Interns: 31 January 2013
Trainee Solicitors: Applications via internship programme; applications close when vacancies are filled How to apply:
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and a copy of your academic transcript to .