Summer Program Basics
O'Melveny's summer program provides those considering a career in law with a realistic view of what it is actually like to practice, and most importantly, what it is like to practice at O’Melveny. Our summer associates benefit from many of the same structures and tools we have put in place to benefit our lawyers, such as substantive training, and individual support and guidance.
Summer Program Information
- Commitment: We require our summer associates to spend at least the first eight weeks of the summer with us and we hope you'll stay longer.
- Billable Hours: Our summer associates are not required to bill a minimum number of hours, but we do ask you to keep track of your time.
- Orientation: Our summer associates learn how to handle assignments, how to navigate a large corporate environment, and how to best utilize their assistant.
- Work Assignment Process: Our summer associates receive assignments through a process similar to our associate and counsel work coordination system. This system allows you to experience a variety of practice areas, including pro bono work. Projects will include the potential for summer associates to experience part of the range of activities in a case or transaction, including but not limited to research, internal and external meetings, hearings, depositions, conference calls, document drafting and negotiation sessions.
- Mentoring: Each summer associate is assigned a mentor who can answer questions and provide guidance throughout the summer.
- Feedback: We know summer associates desire and value feedback, so we strive to ensure that the lawyers you work with evaluate each of your projects. Summer associates also receive a mid-summer review to discuss formal evaluations and experience at the firm.
- Social Events: The people and the work are what make O’Melveny a special place. Social activities range from cooking classes, baseball games, and dinners at partners' homes, to small group happy hours and informal lunches on a regular basis.
- Technology: Summer associates have access to a Blackberry, a laptop computer with Microsoft Outlook e-mail and remote access, our document management system, the Internet, and our Firm intranet, OMMNI.
- Support: Each summer associate is assigned an assistant who also works with other lawyers and legal assistants.