Carlos M. Lazatin
is a partner in O’Melveny’s Los Angeles office and a member of the Consumer Class Actions and Product Liability/Mass Torts Practices. He has extensive experience defending clients against class actions and mass tort litigation involving product liability and consumer fraud claims. In 2014, Carlos was named a “Rising Star” in Consumer Protection law by Law360
. Carlos’s experience includes:
- Defending a leading Korean automobile maker in a nationwide class action involving allegations that certain vehicles are defective due to the design and placement of the fuel tank.
- Defending one of the nation’s leading manufacturers of health care products in:
- Multidistrict products liability litigation involving allegedly defective surgical sutures. Carlos drafted a successful opposition to certification of a nationwide class.
- Nationwide mass tort litigation involving claims that an over-the-counter pain reliever and fever reducer triggered the onset of a rare immunological disorder affecting the skin and mucosal membranes.
- Competitor and consumer class action lawsuits challenging the advertising and marketing of America’s leading brand of no-calorie sweeteners.
- Defending a leading manufacturer of plumbing products in class action litigation involving allegedly defective brass fixtures that were purportedly prone to failure.
- Representing a major manufacturer of athletic shoes in eight class actions across the United States alleging that the advertising for the company’s toning shoes deceptively claimed that the shoes provided certain fitness benefits, including increased muscle activation, increased calorie burn, improved posture, reduced pain in joints and muscles, improved circulation, improved muscle toning, and promoting weight loss and body fat reduction.
Carlos has briefed matters before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Courts of Appeals, the Florida Supreme Court, the California Supreme Court, the California Court of Appeal, various U.S. District Courts, and the California Superior Court. Carlos has also argued matters before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and various state and federal trial courts.
Carlos has tried over half a dozen misdemeanor criminal trials to verdict as a volunteer prosecutor for the City of Redondo Beach.
Prior to attending law school, Carlos worked in brand management at General Mills, Inc.
Admitted to Practice,
US District Court, Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California; US Court of Appeals, Ninth CircuitMember,
Executive Committee of Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association; Board of Governors, Philippine American Bar Association Languages,
Fluent in French, Spanish, and Tagalog; basic knowledge of GermanHonors and Recognition,
Named a “Rising Star” in Consumer Protection law by Law360
(2014); recognized as a Southern California “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers
and published in Los Angeles
magazine (2013); recognized by Legal 500