Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Anschutz Entertainment Group
Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
Clarity Partners, L.P.
DIC Entertainment Holdings, Inc.
DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc.
Home Box Office, Inc.
International Olympic Committee
Intrepid Films, LLC
Lions Gate Entertainment Corporation
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Soros Fund Management, LLC.
The Walt Disney Company
The Weinstein Company
UBS Securities, LLC.
Univision Communications, Inc.
Century City rose from the old movie back lot of Twentieth Century Fox Studios to become a major commercial district rivaling downtown Los Angeles. In nearly four decades, O’Melveny's Century City office has branched out from its initial focus on entertainment and media matters to handling complex and high-stakes transactions and litigation for diverse clients across the business spectrum.
More than 90-lawyers strong, the Century City group provides a practical understanding and innovative solutions to the legal and business issues clients face in an increasingly complex global economy. For example, our office was an integral part of an international O’Melveny team that assisted Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) in negotiating a settlement in which Intel agreed to pay US$1.25 billion to AMD in November 2009—one of the largest antitrust settlements ever achieved in litigation by a single plaintiff.
For our wide ranging transactional practice, we employ sophisticated strategies and techniques that help clients close deals on terms that protect and grow their business. We recently represented Legendary Funding in its nearly US$1 billion recapitalization, which included an expanded co-financing agreement with Warner Bros., a US$600 million senior credit facility with Dresdner Bank, and the amendment and restatement of approximately US$200 million of mezzanine debt.
- Chambers USA (2013) recognized several of our Century City team members in practice areas including Entertainment and Media, Litigation, Sports, and Tax. Chambers highlighted our “deep bench strength” in commercial litigation, and described our Entertainment and Media lawyers as “highly regarded” and “very responsive and proactive” while noting our Sports lawyers’ reputation for achieving “unbelievable results."
- The Best Lawyers in America (2012) referral guide listed Century City practitioners in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Entertainment, Intellectual Property, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Tax.
- With the largest Entertainment and Media practice of any major US law firm, O’Melveny represented motion picture studios, independent production companies, television and music companies, sports organizations, financial institutions, strategic investors, and individual talent on groundbreaking and significant industry deals. The Century City office recently represented Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) in the formation of United Artists Entertainment LLC—a partnership between MGM, actor Tom Cruise, and chief executive Paula Wagner—and led the US$500 million capital raise for the revamped studio, providing financing for the production of 15 to 18 films.
- Entertainment programming and products are increasingly produced and exploited using “layer cake” financing from a number of different sources. We are regarded as the industry leader in these types of transactions. For example, in an unprecedented transaction, we secured full creative and financial control for Dark Castle Entertainment over the production and distribution of 15 motion pictures. The US$240 million deal, involving a group of financial institutions and mezzanine lenders, was structured as a combination of senior debt, mezzanine debt, and equity financing.
- In a recent profile of members of our Entertainment and Media practice, Variety wrote, “The venerable O'Melveny & Myers—one of the oldest and largest firms in Los Angeles—has stayed up-to-date by always trying to figure out what's around the next corner.”
- The Century City office is committed to giving back to the community through pro bono work. Notably, one of our clients, Participant Productions, creates films as vehicles for social change. We represented Participant during the creation of distribution agreements for An Inconvenient Truth, former Vice President and Nobel laureate Al Gore’s compelling exposé about global warming, and Fast Food Nation, a film based on Eric Schlosser’s incendiary book about the dark side of the fast food industry. Participant plans to launch significant social action campaigns around the release of 10 films that are in production.
1999 Avenue of the Stars, 7th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90067
United States of America
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Local Date: 12/12/2013