Hayley Ichilcik is a Counsel in O'Melveny's London office and a member of the International Practice. Hayley’s practice covers international arbitration, white collar defense, corporate investigations, and complex litigation. In addition, Hayley advises clients on compliance with economic sanctions and export controls regulations.
Hayley’s experience includes advising clients on the impact of the UK Bribery Act 2010 and disclosure obligations under the UK Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and the Terrorism Act 2000. Hayley has also represented clients in a number of corporate investigations across various jurisdictions.
Hayley has advised clients in respect of international trade regulations and European Union economic sanctions. Hayley’s experience includes advising a multinational corporation in the oil and gas sector on the territorial scope and effect of European Union economic sanctions concerning Libya. She has also advised a corporate client on compliance with European Union and United Kingdom economic sanctions regulations concerning Iran.
Hayley has represented clients in numerous arbitrations under all leading arbitral rules (including ICC and LCIA) as well as in ad hoc arbitrations at various seats. In addition, she has also represented and advised clients in relation to complex cross-border litigation.
Prior to joining O'Melveny, Hayley trained at a leading international law firm and spent two years as a Legal Advisor at the charity Reprieve where she worked to represent British Nationals facing the death penalty abroad.
Illustrative Professional Experience
Corporate Investigations and AML
- Advising a private equity fund in relation to its reporting obligations under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 in connection with suspected insider-dealing.
- Advising a private equity firm in relation to its potential reporting obligations under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and the Terrorism Act 2000 resulting from an investment in Latin America.
- Conducting an internal investigation for an insurance broker regarding alleged bribery and related money laundering offences.
- Advising an international healthcare company in connection with potential breaches of the FCPA and conducting the consequent internal investigation in Europe.
- Conducting an internal investigation into allegations of wrongful trading practices for an interdealer broking house.
- Advising several multinational corporations and private equity firms on anti-money laundering and anti-corruption compliance policies.
- Advising several multinational corporations in respect of their obligations under the UK Bribery Act 2010.
- Advising a multinational financial services corporation on the structure of its global corporate hospitality policy and packages and in light of the UK Bribery Act 2010.
International trade sanctions
- Advising several multinational corporation in the oil and gas sector on the territorial scope and effect of European Union economic sanctions concerning Iran, Libya and Syria.
- Advising corporate client on compliance with European Union and United Kingdom economic sanctions concerning Iran.
- Developing a Trade Compliance Program and Procedures for a leading multinational in the petrochemical sector.
- Acting for one of the world's leading communications groups in Europe’s largest telecoms arbitration relating to a shareholders’ dispute worth in excess of €2.5 billion under the VIAC rules. Acting in a related arbitration under the LCIA rules.
- Acting for a global telecoms company in successfully defending a challenge to an arbitral tribunal under Section 67 of the Arbitration Act 1996.
- Acting for one of the world’s leading investment banks in an arbitration arising out of the privatization sale of shares of major Eastern European bank.
- Acting for one of the world's largest online gaming software providers in a high value dispute with three of its licensees, resulting in four consolidated arbitrations conducted under the WIPO Expedited Arbitration Rules.
- Acting for a software group in an ad hoc arbitration seated in London in relation to an alleged breach of a right to first refusal provided in a sale and purchase agreement.
- Acting for a US technology company in relation to London-seated arbitration proceedings against a company based in Slovenia under the ICDR International Arbitration Rules.
- Acting for a major international reinsurance company and the following reinsurance market to pursue a professional negligence claim in excess of US$100 million against a UK law firm. The settlement amount reached in this matter represents one of the largest professional negligence claims against a UK law firm for several years.
- Acting for a fuel additive production company in multiple High Court proceedings in relation to claims for royalties due under a licence deed.
- Acting for a private equity firm in an application for third party disclosure in aid of High Court proceedings.
- Acting for the secured creditors of a company in administration in relation to an application to the Companies Court under Paragraph 71 of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Acting for a major international bank in relation to several emergency applications for injunctive relief arising out of a shareholder dispute.
- Advising a major US entertainment promoter in respect of an application for an order from the English court pursuant to the Evidence (Proceedings in Other Jurisdictions) Act 1975.
- Acting for a prisoner on death row in Texas in relation to his Federal Habeas Corpus petition.
- Acting for Street League, a UK sporting charity, in a contractual dispute with one of its partners.
- Acting for Women For Women International (UK), a charity that works with socially excluded women in conflict zones, in relation to claim brought against it by one of its suppliers.
“Opening Up Myanmar/Burma to European Business”, Law360
, April 2012. Co-Author,
“Following the U.S. Lead, the European Union Expands Its Sanctions Against Iran”, Law360
, January 2012. Co-Author,
“Economic sanctions laws: the European Union and the United States,” a chapter published in Serious Economic Crime: A Boardroom Guide to Prevention and Compliance
(Published by White Page Ltd in association with the Serious Fraud Office; December 2011) (with Greta Lichtenbaum and James Barratt) Co-Author,
“Bribery and International Arbitration”, GAR, The European & Middle Eastern Arbitration Review 2011
“UK Publishes Guidance on Bribery Act 2010,” O’Melveny & Myers Briefing, April 2010. Co-Author,
“New Bribery Act Creates Additional Liability Risk for Corporations Doing Business in the U.K.,” O’Melveny & Myers Briefing, April 2010.