Two Embarcadero Center, 28th Floor
San Francisco, CA, 94111
400 South Hope Street
Los Angeles, CA, 90071
Brett J. Williamson
610 Newport Center Drive, 17th Floor
Newport Beach, CA, 92660
- Related Practices
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
SK hynix Inc.
International Game Techology
Johnson & Johnson
Magma Design Automation, Inc.
Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc.
Transcept Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation
Intellectual Property and Technology
For many companies, safeguarding intellectual property is vital to achieving and maintaining commercial success. The challenge of protecting these crucial assets is formidable as the forces of globalization and technology continually reshape intellectual property law at a time when digital data can be created, copied, and transmitted with a few clicks of a mouse.
O’Melveny provides its clients practical, results-oriented advice on how to broaden and strengthen intellectual property rights, protect against infringement, and maximize the ability to innovate and compete. We counsel on the acquisition, exploitation, and enforcement of intellectual property rights worldwide, with lawyers who have broad industry experience and specialized academic backgrounds, including advanced technical and scientific degrees. Whether defending a bet-the-company patent infringement case in Texas, or negotiating a cross-border technology acquisition agreement in Asia, we provide comprehensive legal services to assist clients in meeting their business goals as they confront complex patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, Internet, and technology law issues.
- Among other accolades, our practice group was named to The National Law Journal's 2014 IP "Hot List, and was named a “Go-To Law Firm” for Intellectual Property Law in the 2013 and 2012 editions of "Intellectual Property," a stand-alone supplement to The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel magazines.
- Law360 recognized our practice as a 2013 and 2011 "IP Practice Group of the Year."
- Our practice group was also recommended in US Financial Times' 2012 US FT Innovative Lawyers Report.
- Chambers USA has repeatedly recognized our strong intellectual property practice, having noted that the Firm's "illustrious name attracts a range of clients for IP work" and that clients "appreciate the business-minded advice they receive from the team, its strategic approach, its accessibility and its cost effectiveness." Chambers has also praised our team members for being “extremely responsive and client-centric,” and thinking in a “strategic and long-term way” and recognized our "ability to take complex legal concepts and translate them" for clients. (Chambers USA 2009-13)
- Above all, our intellectual property lawyers are noted for being “tremendous advocates who understand our [clients’] business and work tirelessly to achieve our [clients’] desired goals.” (Chambers USA 2010-13)
- The Legal 500 has described our practice as "sophisticated and confident," adding that "[t]he practice manages to successfully blend a team of lawyers with advanced technical degrees and extensive courtroom experience. The firm’s geographic spread also gives it an edge.” (The Legal 500 2009-2013)
- Our lawyers are boardroom-level advisors who frequently serve as outside general counsel, advising on and anticipating issues both strategic and day-to-day.
- We provide comprehensive and coordinated representation on the most complex patent and technology matters, including multi-jurisdiction, multi-lawsuit cases, such as our representation of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. in its international multi-pronged litigation against Intel.
- We offer imaginative solutions to complex problems, often resulting in precedent-setting victories.
- We employ a uniquely integrated, multifaceted approach to the law that cuts across the intellectual property and technology, labor and employment, global enforcement and corporate departments. As US companies continue to eye Asia as a market for growth, for example, O'Melveny is one of the few firms capable of handling the intellectual property, labor, tax, and corporate issues involved in US-Asia cross-border endeavors such as Symantec Corporation's multi-million dollar joint venture with Chinese party, Huawei Technologies, to form a Chengdu-based entity developing, manufacturing, marketing, and supporting security and storage appliances for global telecommunications carriers and enterprise customers.
- Our lawyers are regularly asked to take over difficult or complex representations mid-stream, and are frequently successful in changing the course of cases that have been handled by other counsel. This was the situation in our representation of toy train maker Lionel LLC, in which we successfully appealed a multimillion-dollar jury verdict on trade secret claims that had plunged the company into bankruptcy.
- Computer Hardware and Software
- Consumer Products
- Financial Services
- Libraries and Universities
- Life Sciences
- Media and Entertainment
- Military and Defense
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Retail, Consumer Goods and Services
- Scientific Instruments
- Telecommunications and Wireless
Integrated Device Technology, Inc.
Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc.
Top Victory Electronics (Taiwan) Co., Ltd.
International Game Technology
Contessa Premium Foods