is a counsel in O’Melveny & Myers LLP’s San Francisco office and a member of the Corporate Finance and Restructuring Practices. Jennifer represents clients in secured and unsecured leveraged buyouts, debt restructurings, and other structured financings. She regularly negotiates workout transactions and represents clients in Chapter 11 reorganizations and distressed acquisitions.
Jennifer was recognized as a "Rising Star" in the practice of Bankruptcy/Creditors Rights in a survey conducted by Law & Politics Media, Inc.
and published in the Northern California edition of Super Lawyers
Illustrative Professional Experience
Illustrative Restructuring and Distress Experience
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 reorganization of a Philadelphia Newspapers
- Represented Lennar as the largest unsecured creditor and 16% equity holder in the Chapter 11 of LandSource, a national land developer, focused on horizontal development of master planned communities.
- Represented the senior secured lender in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video
- Represented Gottschalks, a regional department store chain, as debtor's counsel in its Delaware Chapter 11 case
- Represented Oaktree Capital in the distressed acquisition of a historic Southern California hotel
- Represented a leading U.S. investment bank in connection with the out-of-court restructuring of one of North America’s leading business media and exhibition providers
- Represented Saga Investments LLC in connection with its Section 363 acquisition of the assets of deCODE genetics, Inc., a global leader in genetics research, in deCODE’s Chapter 11
- Represented Printonix, a portfolio company of Vector Capital, in its acquisition of assets from TallyGenicom LP in TallyGenicom’s Chapter 11
- Represented Advanced Marketing Services, a major distributor of books to retailers, as debtor counsel in its Chapter 11 case, including Section 363 sales of its two major business divisions
- Represented cable Internet company Excite/At Home in its Chapter 11 proceeding and the At Home Liquidating Trust in the winddown of the estate
- Represented non-profit mental health clinic Verdugo Mental Health as debtor's counsel in the sale of its assets and seamless transition of its services to another provider
- Represented clients in connection with various out-of-court restructurings involving, among others, the hotel and casino, education solutions, publishing, and wire harness industries
Illustrative Corporate Finance Experience
Represented Nektar Therapeutics, a San Francisco-based biopharmaceutical company, in a 144A offering of $125 million of senior secured notes
Represented Healthcare Trust of America, a publicly traded REIT and leading owner of medical office buildings, in loan transactions raising up to $1.3 billion
Represented Deutsche Bank in connection with $300 million refinancing of a senior secured credit facility to Hexcel Corporation
Represented Avenue Capital as lead investor in multiple tranches of debt financing to Nextwave Wireless, a provider of next generation multimedia and wireless broadband technology
Represented Corinthian Colleges, one of the largest post-secondary education companies in North America, in connection with the refinancing of its syndicated credit facility and its strategic acquisition of Heald College
Represented Wells Fargo Bank in connection with the financing of the leveraged acquisition of one of the world’s largest floral marketers
Represented a leading U.S. investment bank in connection with the arrangement of $2.1 billion in senior secured credit facilities for the acquisition of the Washington Group by URS Corporation, including a multiple-tranche term loan facility and a revolving loan facility
Represented Francisco Partners, L.P. in connection with various credit facilities for its portfolio companies
Represented RSI Corporation in connection with its $350 million senior secured credit facility.
Represented Planet Financial Group, LLC in connection with two fully secured credit facilities of $140 million and the acquisition of existing scratch and dent residential mortgages
Hon. Leslie Tchaikovsky, US Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California Externships,
Hon. Whitney Rimel, US Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of California; Hon. Maxine Chesney, US District Court, Northern District of CaliforniaAdmitted,
CaliforniaAdmitted to Practice,
US District Court, Northern and Central District of California; US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit Member,
American Bankruptcy Institute; Financial Women's Association of San FranciscoSecretary,
Northern California Chapter of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring ConfederationAuthor,
“Some Bargain: How Bankruptcy Courts May Now Require a Debtor to Relinquish Expectations of Privacy as a Condition of the Bankruptcy Bargain,” 56 Hastings L.J.
“Recent Developments Affecting Workouts of Secured Loans,” 8 Pratt’s J. Bankr. L.
679 (2012); "Seventh Circuit Takes the (River) Road Less Traveled, Creating a Circuit Split on the Issue of Right to Credit Bid a Sale Pursuant to a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Plan," 7 Pratt's J. Bankr L.
"Bad Bankruptcy Citizen", The Deal
(April 2010); "Working Through a Workout: A Practitioner's Guide from the Perspective of Private Equity Sponsors, Venture Capital Funds and Other Significant Equity Investors," 5 Hastings Bus. L.J.
101 (2009); “Travelers and the Implications on the Allowability of Unsecured Creditors’ Claims for Post-Petition Attorneys’ Fees Against the Bankruptcy Estate,” 81 Am Bankr. L.J.
123 (2007), reprinted in
29 Cal. Bankr. J.
379 (2007); “Sustaining Power: Applying 11 U.S.C. § 366 in Chapter 11 Post-BAPCPA," 22 Bankr. Dev. J.
“ABI Commission to Study the Reform of Chapter 11,” American Bankruptcy Institute, Tucson (Nov. 30, 2012); "DBSD v. DISH: Designation, Gifting, and Standing . . . Did the Second Circuit Get it Right (And what are the implications for the loan market?)," Loan Syndications and Trading Association, New York (March 9, 2011); "After Philly News, Pacific Lumber, Chrysler, and Metaldyne: Plans, Sales, Secured Lenders' Objections (And More)," Financial Lawyers Conference, El Segundo (December 9, 2010);
"Bankruptcy Practice: A Practical Primer Taught by Court Attorneys," Pincus Professional Education, San Francisco (May 10, 2007)