is a counsel in O’Melveny’s Los Angeles office and a member of the Consumer Class Actions and Insurance Practices. Michael has represented and counseled companies in a variety of complex civil matters, including class actions, insurance coverage disputes, and data breach and privacy issues.
Michael also has a diverse pro bono
practice, including representing a victim of domestic violence in habeas corpus
proceedings and patent prosecution for a charitable organization.
Michael holds an undergraduate degree in engineering from Harvey Mudd College with a focus on computer and electrical engineering. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Los Angeles County Bar Foundation.
Illustrative Professional Experience
Michael’s work has included representation of:
- A leading renewable energy company in multiple shareholder class actions brought against the company in three separate forums across the country related to the company’s merger.
- A global entertainment company in a class action based on the company’s alleged wrongful death liability.
- A prominent liability insurance company in coverage litigation involving mass asbestos-related torts against the insured.
- A prominent liability insurance company in an arbitration over coverage issues for “toxic soup” mass torts against the insured and the insured’s Superfund environmental liabilities.
- A leading liability insurance company in coverage litigation involving hundreds of sexual molestation claims against a school district.
- A major internet dating service on issues related to several potential data breaches.
Honorable James Selna, US District Court, Central District of CaliforniaJudicial Extern,
Honorable Thomas Hardiman, US Court of Appeals, Third CircuitBoard of Directors
, Los Angeles County Bar FoundationSpeaker,
“Privacy Piracy Host,” Kuci 88.9 FM (December 2013)Author,
“Court limits actions under medical privacy act,” Daily Journal
(2013); “Depictions of the Pig Roast: Restricting Violent Speech Without Burning the House,” Note, Southern California Law Review