9 Raffles Place
Republic Plaza 1
Yin Tai Centre, Office Tower, 37th Floor
No. 2 Jianguomenwai Ave.
Chao Yang District
People's Republic of China
Nathan G. Bush ("Nate")
is a partner in the Litigation Department in O’Melveny's Singapore office. He was based in the Washington, D.C. office before relocating to Beijing in 2004, and Singapore in 2012. Nate’s practice focuses on regulatory matters, commercial disputes, and litigation concerning antitrust and competition, fraud and corruption, and international trade.
Nate received two of the highest rankings for Competition/Antitrust (International Firms) (China) and International Trade (International Firms) (China) by Chambers Asia
2011/2012 and Chambers Global
2011/2012. He is also recommended as a “Leading Lawyer” in the 2013 Edition of IFLR1000
Antitrust & Competition
. Nate counsels clients regarding merger notifications, compliance strategies, and enforcement risks under the competition regimes of China and other jurisdictions in Asia. He is experienced with matters arising under U.S. antitrust laws, including merger filings, litigation of civil antitrust claims, and price-fixing investigations. Internal Investigations & Compliance
. Nate conducts internal investigations and counsels clients on compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other anticorruption laws, securities fraud, anti-money laundering rules, and international sanctions. He has conducted over 30 internal investigations in diverse sectors involving Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Vietnam, and countries in Europe and South America. He routinely advises on compliance aspects of capital markets, M&A, private equity, and venture capital transactions in Asia.
Nate represents clients in U.S. litigation involving Asia and advises on the resolution of disputes through arbitration and litigation throughout Asia.International Trade & Market Access
. Nate represents multinational companies before the U.S. and Chinese governments on matters involving China’s WTO accession commitments, trade remedies, and the WTO dispute settlement process.
He frequently publishes and speaks on competition and trade policy in Asia, and authored the China chapter of the ABA treatise on COMPETITION LAWS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES. He is active in the American Chamber of Commerce in China, serving as Legal Committee Chairman in 2008 and as General Counsel from 2009 through 2011.
The Honorable Leonie Brinkema, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of VirginiaLanguages,
Anticorruption & Compliance
- “SinoCFIUS: Same Wall, Same Guards, New Watchtower,” IBA Competition Law International, January 2012.
- “Adding Antitrust to NDRC’s Arsenal,” CPI Competition Policy International Chronicle, February, 2011
- “Disentangling Industrial Policy and Competition Policy in China,” ABA Antitrust Source, February 2011
- American Bar Association, COMPETITION LAWS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, People’s Republic of China (Treatise Chapter) (published 2011).
- “Oracle Bones: Limited Lessons from China’s Merger Rulings,” ABA Antitrust Source, October 2009
- “Constraints on Convergence in Chinese Antitrust,” Antitrust Bulletin, Summer 2009.
- “Launching into Stormy Seas,” Global Competition Review - Asia Pacific Antitrust & Trade Review, April 2009
- “Chinese Antitrust: Act II, Scene 1” ABA Antitrust Source, October 2008
- “Implementing China’s Antimonopoly Law, “Global Competition Review - Asia Pacific Antitrust & Trade Review, April 2008
- “Anticipating Chinese Antitrust Policy,” China Business Review, Jan.-Feb. 2008.
- “China’s Antimonopoly Law: Unanswered Questions and Challenges Ahead,” ABA Antitrust Source, October 2007
- “China’s Antimonopoly Marathon,” Global Competition Review - Asia Pacific Antitrust & Trade Review, April 2008
- “Refining China’s Draft Antimonopoly Law,” Global Competition Review - Asia Pacific Antitrust & Trade Review, April 2007
- “Chinese Competition Policy: It Takes More Than a Law,” China Business Review, May-June 2005
- “Progress on China’s Antimonopoly Law,” Global Competition Review - Asia Pacific Antitrust & Trade Review, April 2005
Antitrust & Competition
- “Minimizing Corruption Risks in M&A,” ACI, “Singapore Anti-Corruption Summit,” Singapore, December 5, 2012.
- “Building Your FCPA Due Diligence File: Investigative Techniques to Access the Right Data on Existing or Prospective Partners in China,” ACI, “FCPA Bootcamp", San Francisco, CA, October 2, 2012.
- “Leveraging Internal Audit and Finance Function to Detect Bribery and Questionable Transactions,” ACI, “Fifth China Anticorruption Summit,” Shanghai, June 6, 2012.
- “Pitfalls for FCPA Compliance under Chinese Law,” PLI, “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and International Anti-Corruption Developments 2012,” New York, May 4, 2012.
- “Managing Compliance Risks from Intermediaries,” FCPA Compliance Conference C5, Paris, France, October 2011.
- “Fraud & Corruption in Contemporary China: Challenges for U.S. Companies & Investors,” Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, CA, Aug. 29, 2011.
- “Innovation in FCPA Enforcement Tactics,” Lexis Fourth Corporate Compliance Conference, Shanghai, November 11, 2010.
- “Heeding the Accounting Provisions in China,: ACI, FCPA in Emerging Markets, Washington, D.C., June 9, 2010
- “Current Trends on Chinese Anticorruption Enforcement,” Stafford Publications Webinar, FCPA Compliance in China, May 20, 2010
- “Competing in China: Antitrust, Anticorruption, and Industrial Policy ,” Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, CA, Jan. 14, 2010
- “Chinese Anticorruption Enforcement,” Stafford Publications Webinar, FCPA Compliance in China, Sep. 3, 2009
- “Challenges of Anticorruption Compliance in China,” JF Pearson FCPA Seminar, Shanghai, November 20, 2008
- “Internal Investigations in China,” American Conference Institute (ACI) Anticorruption Conference, Shanghai, China, July 16, 2008 “Internal Investigations in Asia,” San Francisco Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Forum, San Francisco, May 30, 2008
- “Maneuvers in a Minefield: Responding to Corruption in Contemporary China,” American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong, March 13, 2007
- “China Compliance Strategies: Responding to Corruption, Fraud, and Corporate Misconduct,” American Chamber of Commerce, Beijing, December 14, 2006
- “Competition Policy & Industrial Policy: Tension & Balance”, People’s University, Beijing, December 18, 2010.
- “Asia’s Emerging Antitrust Regimes & Challenges for Technology Companies,” "Antitrust Enforcement in Global Markets, Seattle, WA, June 17, 2010
- “Antitrust Challenges in Global Aviation,” Beijing Aeronautics University Law School, May 26, 2010
- “Antitrust in China’s Aviation Sector,” Beijing Aeronautics University Law School, May 27, 2009
- “Divining Chinese Antitrust after Coke-Huiyuan,” National University of Singapore, April 9, 2009
- “Chinese Antitrust: Launching into Stormy Seas,” Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, CA, Jan. 20, 2009
- “Power Politics: The Political Economy of Antitrust in China’s Energy Sector,” Asian Competition Policy & Law Conference, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, December 9, 2008
- “The Chinese Antimonopoly Law: Conduct Rules,” ABA Brownbag Seminar, October 30, 2008
- “Competition Compliance in China: A View from Private Practice,” University of Melbourne, Oct. 4, 2008
- “Competition Law in China,” Canadian Bar Association's 2008 Fall Conference on Competition Law, Ottawa, Canada, September 18, 2008
- “Merger Review & Monopoly Agreements in the PRC,” Asia Legal Business Seminar, Singapore, July 30, 2008
- “Final Countdown to China’s Antimonopoly Law,” Japan Fair Trade Center, Tokyo, Japan, June 19, 2008
- “The PRC Antimonopoly Law: Mechanics of Merger Review,” Pre-Meeting Session of International Competition Network Annual Meeting, Kyoto, Japan, April 13, 2008
- “Constraints on Convergence in Chinese Antitrust,” Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, CA, Feb. 13, 2008
- “The Antimonopoly Law and IP Rights”, Asian Competition Policy & Law Conference, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, December 11, 2007
- “The IP/Antitrust Interface in China,” Ambassador’s Roundtable on Intellectual Property Rights, Beijing, October 24, 2007
- “The AML: Implications for Korean Firms,” Seoul, Korea, October 9, 2007
- “The AML: A Long, Rough Road Ahead,” US-China Business Council, Washington, D.C., October 2, 2007
- “Chinese Competition Policy: Challenges for U.S. Business,” Pacific Research Institute, San Jose, CA, February 28, 2007
- “Dominance Enforcement under the Antimonopoly Law”, Asian Competition Policy & Law Conference, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, December 12, 2006
- “Chinese Competition Policy: A Preview of Coming Events?,” American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai, November 23, 2005
- “Chinese Competition Policy & Standard Setting,”, U.S. Information Technology Office, Beijing, December 5, 2005
Harvard Law School, J.D.: cum laude; Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Asia Quarterly; Submissions Committee, Harvard International Law Journal; Harvard Asia Law Society Executive Board
University of Virginia, B.A., Government and Foreign Affairs, East Asian Studies (Minor): Phi Beta Kappa
Foreign Conduct and U.S. Antitrust Laws (Antitrust and Competition)
China’s NDRC Penalizes Global LCD Panel Price Cartel (Antitrust and Competition)
MOFCOM Releases Measures to Implement the New Foreign Investment National Security Review Mechanism - Renewed Scrutiny of Captive Structure (China Practice)
U.K. Publishes Guidance on Bribery Act of 2010 (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act)
China Establishes Mechanism for National Security Reviews of Foreign Investments (China Practice)
FCPA Investigation into RINO International Corporation (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act)
Lifestyles of Chinese Officials Scrutinized under New Anticorruption Measures (China Publications, White Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations)
MOFCOM Issues New Measures on Divestitures as Merger Remedies (China/Antitrust/Competition/Mergers & Acquisitions)
China's NDRC Punishes Rice Noodle Cartel Members (Antitrust/Competition Alert)
Judicial Enforcement of the AML (Antitrust/Competition Alert)
Developments in International Cartel Enforcement and Leniency Agreements: 2008 to 2009 (Antitrust Review of the Americas 2010, published by Global Competition Review)
MOFCOM Clarifies Chinese Merger Review Procedures (Antitrust/Competition Alert)
Chinese Ministry of Commerce Blocks Coca-Cola's Acquisition of Huiyuan (Antitrust/Competition Alert)
US Court Rejects Immunity Arguments In Vitamin C Antitrust Lawsuit (Antitrust/Competition Alert)
Chinese Commerce Ministry Conditionally Clears InBev Group’s Acquisition of Anheuser-Busch (Antitrust/Competition Alert)
The Antimonopoly Law Takes Effect (Antitrust/Competition Alert)
Developments in International Leniency Agreements: 2007 to 2008 (The Antitrust Review of the Americas 2009, published by Global Competition Review)