O’Melveny & Myers LLP offers seamless antitrust and competition representation in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Members of our practice group routinely represent clients before antitrust and competition agencies around the world. Our 70-plus antitrust and competition lawyers include former high-ranking regulators who maintain close contact with the enforcement agencies, providing clients with invaluable insights into governmental decision-making processes and agendas.
Operating at the European Union’s political and legislative center, the Brussels office focuses on EU and national competition law, as well as trade and sector regulation. Our lawyers are qualified in key Member States, have in-depth experience and knowledge of national laws and procedures, speak local languages, know the national authorities, and are accustomed to coordinating complex cross-border projects in the EU and beyond.
Since its establishment in 2004, the Brussels office has been involved in a series of high-profile cases covering all main areas of EU competition law (Article 102, mergers, and cartel cases), achieving headline-grabbing results for our clients. For example, we secured a historic victory for client Advanced Micro Devices in its global antitrust battle with Intel when the European Commission concluded that Intel violated European antitrust laws by abusing its dominant position in the x86 microprocessor market, ordered Intel to discontinue its illegal practices and imposed a fine of €1.06 billion (US$1.44 billion).
Combining its US, European and Asian antitrust knowledge, O’Melveny is well situated to advise on the transnational implications of deals. This is a critical aspect of international business as globalization continues and as antitrust authorities around the world conduct parallel merger inquiries, as well as monopoly and cartel investigations. Few firms can match our consistent strength across these three major economic areas.
What Others Say About Us
- O'Melveny won "Competition Team of the Year" at The Lawyer Awards (2010). The Brussels team won the prestigious award on the basis of its tremendously successful work for Advanced Micro Devices in the Intel case. In awarding O'Melveny, The Lawyer wrote, "Working on one of the biggest competition cases of the year was always going to be a feather in the cap for O'Melveny & Myers, but winning it against the odds and securing a record-breaking fine in the process shows what a remarkable job the team pulled off." One judge said the case "has the feel of a David taking on not one but two Goliaths - Intel and the European Commission." In addition to winning the team award, Partner Riccardo Celli was a finalist for the "Partner of the Year" award for his leadership during the case.
- Legal 500 EMEA (2012) writes that O’Melveny’s Brussels team "is appreciated for its ‘solid understanding of client’s business.’"
- Chambers Europe (2012) notes that our lawyers “really know the ropes,” and “give practical advice and turn work around quickly.”
- Chambers Global (2011) commends our global practice in the areas of Competition/European Law and US Competition Law, stating that our team “has a high-profile Washington, DC practice and further impresses through its strength in Asia and presence in Brussels and London.”
- Global Competition Review’s 2012 edition of GCR 100―its guide to the world’s leading competition practices―highlights O’Melveny’s Brussels practice in its “Recommended” section, writing that our Brussels team is “renowned on the Brussels circuit.” GCR also lists O’Melveny’s DC practice in its “Elite” section for the third consecutive year, noting that the “strength of the firm’s [DC] antitrust team wins praise from rivals,” lists our California antitrust practice in its “Highly Recommended” category, stating that O’Melveny “boasts one of California’s strongest antitrust practices,” and lists our New York team in its "Recommended" section, noting that the team “has made an impressive showing, especially in litigation matters.”
- International Financial Law Review 1000 (2013) recommends our European Antitrust and Competition Practice for the fourth consecutive year. An earlier edition of the guide quotes one client who makes reference to the "very bright people" at O'Melveny and comments, "Their service is excellent and they are very knowledgeable. Nothing but praise for their competition practice." Partner Riccardo Celli is recognized as a "leading lawyer" and partner Christian Riis-Madsen "comes well recommended."
- At the European Legal Business Awards (2008), we received “Competition Team of the Year” honors for our representation of TUI AG in its acquisition of First Choice Holidays PLC, forming the leading travel group worldwide. In addition, O’Melveny was shortlisted for “Competition Team of the Year” at the Legal Business Awards 2010 on the basis of its tremendously successful work for Advanced Micro Devices in the Intel case. In selecting O’Melveny, the Legal Business judges commented: “When O’Melveny took over AMD’s longstanding complaint of abuse of a dominant position against Intel, the case looked dead in the water. The input of Celli’s team led to a remarkable turnaround in fortunes for the client, and ultimately finished with the European Commission levying fines worth more than €1bn against Intel.”
- Competition Law360 named O’Melveny a “Competition Group of the Year" in both 2011 and 2009.
- ACQ Finance Magazine awarded the Brussels team the title of “Competition Law Firm of the Year” in 2012, 2009 and and 2008.
- Global reach – offices and antitrust lawyers in China, Japan, Europe and the United States give us global coverage of the major economies
- Renowned leadership – our practice leaders have established global reputations
- Resources – with more than 70 antitrust lawyers worldwide we can handle efficiently major, complex, cross-border cases and antitrust litigation, however demanding
- Range of skills – we offer effective representation whatever the challenge: criminal proceedings; treble damages and class actions; appearances before regulatory bodies including EC oral hearings; and judicial review in the EU Courts
- Record of success – the results we achieve for clients speak for themselves – see the "European Antitrust and Competition” practice page for some notable recent victories
- Environmentally friendly practices – In recognition of our environmentally friendly practices, the Brussels office has been recognized as an “Ecodynamique Company” and awarded one star by IBGE (Institut Bruxellois de la Gestion de l’Environnement) in both 2009 and 2012. This award is given once every three years.