20th Century Fox
Advent International Corporation
Bain Capital, LLC
Capmark Financial Group, Inc.
Daido Steel Co., Ltd.
Deutsche Bank Group
GE Consumer Finance
Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
International Game Technology
JAL Hotels Company, Ltd.
Japan Airlines Corporation
Mitsui Chemicals Inc.
Oji Paper Co., Ltd.
Promise Co., Ltd.
Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.
Softbank Finance Corporation
Toyoda Gosei Co., Ltd.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
O’Melveny's Japan practice has been helping clients maximize their business opportunities for more than two decades. From Japan’s ambitious westward drive in the 1980s, to our representation of the world’s leading investment firms in their real estate investment and mergers and acquisitions activities in Japan, O’Melveny has handled landmark cases and significant deals, both inbound and outbound, for a wide range of clients.
Our team of approximately 20 lawyers in Japan includes bengoshi
(licensed Japanese lawyers), allowing us to advise Japanese and foreign clients on virtually all facets of Japanese and US law. All of our lawyers are fluent in Japanese and English, permitting seamless legal service across the language and cultural divide.
Whether the undertaking is a large-scale real estate investment, a cross-border acquisition, or a complex multijurisdictional litigation matter, our Japan practice gives clients an edge in the competitive global marketplace.
for Tokyo Office web site in Japanese.
- O’Melveny, which established its Tokyo office in 1987, was among the first international law firms licensed to practice in Japan.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2011/2012) recommends our Japan practice for the areas of Corporate/M&A and Dispute Resolution.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific (2012) recommends our Japan practice for Dispute Resolution; and Employment.
- Asialaw Profiles (2012) recommends our Japan practice for Banking and Finance; Corporate/M&A; and Dispute Resolution.
- Chambers Global (2011) recommends our Japan practice for Corporate and M&A; and Dispute Resolution.
- IFLR1000 (International Financial Law Review) (2010) recommends our Japan practice for Banking; and M&A.
- The Tokyo office is fully integrated with O’Melveny’s firm-wide practices. Our ability to provide cohesive services across geographic and practice lines gives our clients the ability to develop a relationship with a single firm equipped to handle the full spectrum of their transactional and dispute-resolution needs.
- Our capabilities span virtually every area of legal practice, including M&A, Private Equity, Venture Capital, Corporate Finance, Real Estate and Principal Investment, Entertainment and Media, Intellectual Property, Litigation, and Arbitration.
- Corporate Finance
- Intellectual Property and Technology
We advise on a broad range of intellectual property and technology-related matters, such as cross-border patent disputes, R&D and licensing agreements, e-commerce counseling, and complex transnational strategic alliances and joint ventures.
- International Arbitration
- Mergers and Acquisitions
We provide the full range of legal counseling for M&A deals involving Japanese parties and assets, including representing Japanese and international entities in domestic and cross-border transactions. Our team reconciles Japanese and international laws concerning often-complex securities, intellectual property, tax, labor, and regulatory issues.
- Venture Capital and Private Equity Financing
Our firm is recognized for our strong global private equity and venture capital practices. In fact, Private Equity Analyst ranked our M&A/Private Equity Practice fifth based on the number of private equity and venture capital deals we negotiated and closed in 2006 . Our experience includes ApaxGlobis’ investment in BioOne, which marked the first specialty pharmaceuticals-sector investment in Japan, and the largest first-round investment ever made in a Japanese company. We work closely with our private equity and venture capital lawyers in China, Singapore, the United States and Europe to provide worldwide coverage for a number of the world’s leading investment funds.
- Real Estate
We provide comprehensive transactional counseling to domestic and international investors relating to the purchase of assets in Japan. Our experience spans the full range of investment vehicles and asset classes, and specific Japanese deal structures such as tokutei mokuteki kaisha (special purpose company) under the tokumei kumiai (Asset Liquidation Law), and investment corporations under the Investment Corporation Law. In particular, our attorneys have been recognized by Legal 500 and other publications for their leadership in the real estate sector, where our experience includes investment, liquidation, and securitization transactions relating to commercial property, residential buildings, golf courses, hotels, shopping malls, and REIT matters.
- Entertainment and Media
We are active participants in Japan’s media and entertainment industries, helping clients develop, finance, distribute, and license content for film, television, music, online gaming, and professional sports. We work together with our industry leading entertainment and media practice based in Century City, California to provide cutting edge legal services to our clients in Japan.
Unless otherwise stated, lawyers in our offices in Japan, China and Europe are not solicitors or licensed as local lawyers in the jurisdiction in which their office is located.
Meiji Yasuda Seimei Building, 11th Floor
Local Time: 9:07 PM
Local Date: 5/19/2013