O’MELVENY AT A GLANCE
>> To learn more, read O’Melveny At-A-Glance and our Insights 2023 report.
It’s more than what you do: it’s how you do it. Across sectors and borders, in board rooms and courtrooms, we measure our success by yours. And in our interactions, we commit to making your O’Melveny experience as satisfying as the outcomes we help you achieve. Our greatest accomplishment is ensuring that you never have to choose between premier lawyering and exceptional service. So, tell us. What do you want to achieve?
Whether we’re connecting clients to new business opportunities, collaborating on strategies to push through their obstacles, or trading ideas for maximizing value, our clients’ business objectives are what set our agenda.
Our commitment starts with great legal results, but doesn’t end there. It also means:
- Getting to know our clients’ goals, businesses, and cultures as well as any member of their own team;
- Stepping back and taking a global view of what makes for a successful outcome;
- Being where our clients need us, when they need us;
- Consistently delivering excellent results using the most efficient means possible;
- Mobilizing strong, diverse teams that come up with creative ways to solve problems; and
- Becoming our clients’ biggest supporter and greatest ally in everything they do.
It’s an approach that comes naturally to us, and always has. At our core, you’ll find a dedication to excellence, a drive to lead and innovate, and a deep sense of civic responsibility. These values—established by our founders—have anchored us for more than 130 years, and remain every bit as important to who we are today.
Excellence + Innovation
- At O’Melveny, we’re proud of our staying power, but we haven’t endured by standing pat. We thrive on finding new ways to help our clients solve problems and reach objectives, whether we are counseling companies at the leading edge of the clean energy or life sciences industries, helping investors access capital in tight credit markets, advising financial institutions on strategies for adapting to changing Wall Street regulations, or defending Fortune 500 firms against novel theories of liability.
- Whatever your needs, we have the resources to see you through. Our award-winning litigation team—one of only three named a winner, finalist, or honorable mention recipient every year in The American Lawyer’s 20-year history of biannually honoring market-leading litigation departments—is renowned for reducing clients’ exposure and risk, disposing of cases early, and developing inventive strategies that lead to groundbreaking results. Our premier corporate team, recognized among American Lawyer's 2022 “Dealmakers of the Year” and regularly listed among the most active firms on annual league table rankings, has an established record of completing landmark deals—from record-setting acquisitions and offerings to high-profile chapter 11 proceedings. With our tradition of public service, we have former White House officials and Department of Justice prosecutors ready to offer invaluable insights into political agendas, policymaking decisions, and regulatory trends. And our more than a dozen industry teams fuse all these exceptional abilities with a deep understanding of the intricacies of how, where, and why our clients do business.
- We appreciate the recognition our work earns us, even more so when it reflects our commitment to our clients. O’Melveny has for eleven consecutive years ranked in the top tier of The American Lawyer’s “A-List”—which recognizes “the best of the well-rounded best,” as the magazine puts it. In 2021, we earned the #1 spot.
- That same drive to innovate can be seen in our investments—in our technology, in our operations, and in our people—all designed to deliver what our clients need not only today, but also well into the future. We’ve implemented a thoughtful mix of emerging technologies that expand the efficiency of our information retrieval and review capabilities. We’ve brought a Pulitzer Prize–winning brief editor onboard to frame and sharpen our clients’ arguments. And we’ve built one of the industry’s most comprehensive programs for training and developing our lawyers and professional staff.
- We also understand that to realize our fullest potential—and to achieve the best results for our clients—we must connect all our people to a common purpose in an environment where everyone can succeed. As a firm we are committed to increasing the number of diverse attorneys at the partnership level and in leadership roles, providing clients with a wider range of perspectives and greater innovation.
A Seamless Global Team
- With approximately 800 lawyers on three continents, and strong cultural ties to all our locations, O’Melveny is both local and global—an international law firm experienced in everything from the fine print of a municipal zoning law to the intricacies of an international infrastructure deal. Collaboration thrives among our 18 offices. Whether a cross-border merger requires US, UK, and Chinese tax advice, or a multijurisdictional dispute involves tracking down witnesses and documents in different countries and languages, O’Melveny’s worldwide reach ensures that nothing gets lost in translation.
Driven By Our Values
- Connecting with our communities to serve our most vulnerable neighbors has been part of our DNA since O’Melveny’s earliest days. Citizenship, along with excellence and leadership, is one of the core values articulated by our late Chairman, former US Secretary of State Warren Christopher, whose legacy is the standard by which we continue to measure our performance.
- Answering this calling is a duty we feel privileged to fulfill. Through our acclaimed pro bono program and vibrant corporate social responsibility program, which encompasses our longstanding scholarship and mentoring programs, community involvement, sustainability efforts, and individual service, we grow as lawyers and leaders and strengthen the communities where our clients and colleagues work and live.