O’Melveny’s preeminent ERISA Litigation team includes partners with more than 50 years of combined ERISA experience who have argued before federal district and appellate courts throughout the United States. The head of our practice, Bob Eccles
, litigated and tried a number of cases that established basic precedent on ERISA fiduciary duties. In this complicated area of law, we also provide clients with keen insight into what events trigger litigation, how courts interpret fiduciary obligations, and what best practices to employ to minimize liability risk.
- Our team includes Bob Eccles, a former Associate Solicitor of Labor for the Plan Benefits Security Division, and Gregory Jacob, a former Solicitor of Labor.
- We have an unrivaled track record in successfully resolving these cases for clients through motions, settlements, and an active trial practice.
- Both Chambers USA and Legal 500 have consistently ranked our ERISA litigation practice in the first tier nationally. The publications have also recognized Bob Eccle and Brian Boyle as leading lawyers in the field. In their 2011 guides, the publications noted that:
- “‘O’Melveny does a fantastic job – the firm is leading the way in this field.’”
- “The ‘excellent’ team provides its clients with keen insight into what events trigger litigation, how courts interpret fiduciary obligations, and what best practices to employ to minimize liability risk. Put simply, one client attests that ‘it is the best ERISA firm I have ever worked with.’”
- “Observers can’t speak highly enough of Bob Eccles, who is considered ‘the dean of this Bar,’ and is the first port of call for many of our sources: ‘In an ERISA action I’d choose Bob above anyone else to defend me. He’s extraordinarily talented.’”
- “Practice chair Robert Eccles, one of the doyens of ERISA litigation, is ‘a perfect gentleman, fantastically brilliant and instills the confidence in clients that they will prevail.’ He is ‘steady, prudent and a pre-eminent ERISA litigator.’”