David J. Roberts
is a partner in O’Melveny’s Beijing office and a member of the firm's Transactions Department. David has considerable experience representing clients in the areas of capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital. David has applied his 16 years of experience living and working in mainland China since the 1980's to assist foreign investors with their investments in China, and Chinese companies with their strategies to grow internationally and attract foreign private and public investors.
Most recently, David represented Global Education in its successful sale to Pearson plc for US$294 million, a landmark U.S.-public M&A transaction in China. David previously represented Global Education on its successful US IPO on Nasdaq, and also acted as counsel to the underwriters on the US IPO and NYSE listing of Dangdang.com (NYSE: DANG). David also represented Changyou.com (Nasdaq: CYOU) on the successful acquisition of the 17173.com game portal business from Sohu.com (Nasdaq: SOHU) at the end of last year, and represented China Real Estate Information Corporation (Nasdaq: CRIC) in connection with a going private transaction consummated by E-House (NYSE: EJ) and also involving Nasdaq-listed SINA, a major shareholder of E-House.
Prior to returning to China in 2003, David practiced corporate and securities law in California from 1999 to 2003.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Currently representing special committee of ShangPharma (NYSE: SHP) in evaluating going private bid from TPG and company’s chairman
- Currently representing special committee of Feihe (NYSE: ADY) in evaluating going private bid from MSPEA and company’s chairman
- Representation of underwriters and issuers in securities offerings on Nasdaq and NYSE, and 144A offerings in connection with Hong Kong public offerings
- Counseling buyers, sellers and target companies in M&A transactions involving both private and public companies, including “going private” transactions
- Representation of leading venture capital and private equity firms, and their portfolio companies
- Concentrated experience in technology and new media investments and structures in China, including in the areas of Internet, online games, mobile, e-commerce, software, education, advertising and technology outsourcing
- Advising on U.S. securities laws and SEC, Nasdaq and NYSE rules and regulations
Business Law Section, State Bar of CaliforniaLanguage,
Speaks and reads Chinese (Mandarin)