is a partner in the Los Angeles Office of O’Melveny & Myers and a member of the White Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations Practice. Dan specializes in FCPA and anti-corruption investigations and counseling, leading independent board and special committee investigations, and representing companies and individuals in DOJ and SEC investigations. Dan is also an accomplished trial lawyer with significant first chair trial experience.
Before joining O’Melveny in 2007, Dan served for over seven years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California in Los Angeles where he specialized in investigating and prosecuting high profile corruption and fraud cases.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Represent the Audit Committee and Special Litigation Committee of a publicly traded gaming and entertainment company in conducting an independent internal investigation of alleged FCPA violations in Macau and China.
- Trial counsel for Harry Potter author, J. K. Rowling, and Warner Bros. in a highly publicized federal copyright trial in the Southern District of New York. Dan and the O’Melveny team obtained a permanent injunction against the defendant publisher for copyright infringement.
- Represent a leading film and production company in a SEC investigation of alleged FCPA violations in China.
- Represent a publicly traded renewable energy company in conducting an internal investigation of alleged FCPA violations in China.
- Represent a publicly traded apparel manufacturer and distributor in a DOJ grand jury investigation of alleged misleading advertising claims.
- Represent a senior elected official in a federal political corruption investigation. Successfully obtained immunity for client.
- Represented a Member of Congress in a Federal grand jury investigation and a parallel inquiry by the House Ethics Committee. Successfully convinced the U.S. Attorney’s Office to decline prosecution and won a complete exoneration from the Ethics Committee.
- Represented a privately-held film and production company in a DOJ investigation of alleged FCPA violations during film production in Africa. Successfully convinced the DOJ to decline prosecution and to take no enforcement action.
- Represented an international airline in a Federal criminal antitrust investigation involving alleged price-fixing of passenger ticket prices and air cargo rates. Obtained a highly favorable settlement with the DOJ.
- As a federal prosecutor, Dan led a two-year grand jury investigation into political corruption in Southeast Los Angeles County resulting in a 39-count indictment against the former Mayor of Lynwood and three associates. Following a high-profile two-month trial, the jury returned guilty verdicts on all counts, and the lead defendant received one of the longest sentences ever imposed upon a public official for corruption in office (188 months).
Admitted to Practice
, U.S. District Court, Central District of California; U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit Speaker,
“Anti-Corruption under the FCPA & UK Bribery Act - How to Avoid Prosecution,” International White Collar Crime Conference (2012); Panelist: National Institute on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Conference (2012); “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Staying Out of the Government’s Crosshairs,” Strafford Publications, Inc. (2007); Keynote Address: “Federal Prosecution of State and Local Corruption,” Independent Cities Association Annual Conference (2006) Community Service,
Chair (2011-present) and Vice-Chair (2009-10) of the Legal Division of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles; Co-Chair and Founder of EMET, the Young Lawyers Division, Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles (2007-08); Co-Chair, Geller Leadership Project, Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles (2006) Awards
, Annually recognized as a California “Super Lawyer” in a survey conducted by Law & Politics Media Inc.; U.S. Department of Justice “Director’s Award” for Superior Performance as an Assistant U.S. Attorney