is a partner in O’Melveny’s Washington, DC office. Rob has extensive experience litigating major state and federal actions on behalf of financial services institutions, Fortune 100 companies, and officers and directors of public companies. Rob also has represented numerous companies and individuals before the Securities and Exchange Commission and in FINRA arbitrations.
Rob has been nationally recognized as a leader in securities litigation by Legal 500
with particular expertise litigating mortgage-backed securities and structured products claims, accounting fraud matters as well as claims involving derivative instruments. He routinely represents financial institutions, residential mortgage originators, and mortgage servicers in civil litigation and regulatory enforcement matters. He also is a faculty member for the Practising Law Institute’s Securities Litigation program.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Lead counsel for subprime mortgage originator in connection with exposure arising out of the origination and securitization of subprime and Alt-A mortgages.
- Representing government-sponsored entity in securities class action, ERISA litigation, and shareholder derivative suits alleging failure to adequately disclose subprime and Alt-A mortgage exposure.
- Representing government-sponsored entity in securities class action, ERISA litigation, and shareholder derivative suits filed after company announced $9 billion restatement of earnings.
- Representing Fortune 50 investment bank in securities class action, shareholder derivative suits, and FINRA arbitrations arising out of illiquidity in the auction-rate securities markets.
- Lead counsel for former Audit Committee Chairman in shareholder derivative litigation arising out of the Company’s payments to the AUC and criminal plea. Obtained dismissal without individual liability.
- Lead counsel for former CFO of major automotive parts supplier in securities class action and shareholder derivative litigation based on allegations of accounting fraud. Achieved a favorable resolution of all liability.
- Represented former Chairman and CEO of Fortune 100 Internet Media company in securities class action, shareholder derivative, and shareholder opt-out litigation around the country. Achieved a favorable resolution of all liability.
- Represented former Enron CEO in securities class action, shareholder derivative, and shareholder opt-out litigation around the country filed in the wake of the energy giant’s bankruptcy.
- Represented former WorldCom director in securities class action and shareholder opt-out litigation around the country. Achieved a favorable resolution of all liability.
- Represented major financial institution in In re Initial Public Offering Securities and Antitrust class action litigation.
- Participated in the jury trial of antitrust case against Microsoft where our client ultimately received the largest punitive damages award ever obtained under Connecticut’s Unfair Trade Practices Act at that time.
District of Columbia, New York Admitted to Practice,
US Supreme Court, US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; US District Courts, Districts of Columbia, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York Advisory Board,
Strafford Securities Litigation and Finance Teleconferences Advisory Board Author,
“Second Circuit Permits Arbitration Claims to Proceed Despite $100 Million Class-Action Settlement,” O’Melveny & Myers LLP Client Alert (November 2011); “Has Janus Pulled The Plug On Group Pleading?”, Securities Law360
(November 3, 2011); “Digimarc: The Final Nail In The SOX 304 Coffin,” Law360
(January 2009); “US Courts Back Directors In Fight Over Liability,” Int’l Fin. L. Rev.
(March 2006); “Bondholders’ State Securities Suits Pose New Threat To Wall Street,” Washington Legal Foundation Backgrounder
(May 23, 2003) Speaker,
“The Investigation: Coordinating Requests from Government Regulators,” PLI Seminar - Handling a Securities Case 2012: From Investigation to Trial and Everything in Between, (April 26, 2012); “Financial Reporting Litigation in the Current Environment,” FTI Consulting Breakfast Conference Series, (October 4, 2011); “Mortgage Backed Securities Litigation,” Financial Services Litigation in the Era of Dodd-Frank 2011, Bridgeport Continuing Education (November 10, 2011); “Auction-Rate Securities Under Attack,” Strafford Legal Teleconferences (July 9, 2008); “Insurance and the Subprime Credit Crisis,” Strafford Legal Teleconferences (April 29, 2008), NERA Economic Consulting’s “10th Annual Finance Law & Economics Securities Litigation Conference” (Sun Valley, Idaho, June 29, 2007) Member,
American Bar Association, Business Law and Litigation Sections