is a Counsel in the International Dispute Resolution and Restructuring practice groups in O'Melveny's Singapore.
Ashley has extensive experience representing multinational corporations, financial institutions and private equity investors in a broad range of commercial litigation and international arbitration proceedings across Asia, with a particular focus on contentious restructuring matters and the management of international litigation strategies for clients involved in inter-connected claims or proceedings across multiple jurisdictions, including Asia, Europe and the offshore jurisdictions.
On the restructuring side, Ashley regularly advises clients on enforcement options, the appointment and recognition of insolvency practitioners in multiple jurisdictions and the pursuit of insolvency-related investigations and claims by liquidators and/or creditors. Ashley also represents clients in a wide range of shareholder, financial and fraud proceedings in courts across Asia (in conjunction with local counsel) and in arbitration proceedings administered by the ICC, SIAC, HKIAC, ICSID and CIETAC. He is qualified in England & Wales, Hong Kong, and Australia.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Managing a multi-jurisdictional litigation strategy for one of the world’s largest solar energy cell producers in connection with an alleged fraud arising out of the provision of €560 million government bonds as security for a guarantee of certain loan facilities.
- Advising an international creditor group on the enforcement of the syndicate’s rights in connection with a USD$150 million loan facility made available to the Luxembourg parent of a Thai pipe-manufacturing group, including the restructuring of its onshore and offshore indebtedness in Thailand, the appointment of an insolvency officer over the group in Luxembourg, the enforcement of security in Spain and the pursuit of civil and criminal claims against the directors in Europe in respect of the mismanagement of the business and certain allegedly fraudulent transactions.
- Acting as international counsel for a private equity fund in connection with the enforcement of its rights in connection with its holding of SGD$235 million in bonds issued by a soybean protein-based food producer with significant assets in China.
- Representing an international private equity fund in SIAC arbitration proceedings concerning the failure by an Indonesian company to redeem US$36 million senior secured notes which were issued to finance the development of a retail complex.
- Representing the provisional liquidators of a Hong Kong listed, Cayman incorporated, food and catering business in the PRC in respect of the implementation of capital and debt restructurings, the sanctioning of a scheme of arrangement and the (unprecedented) recognition of the provisional liquidators in the Cayman Islands.
- Representing a petitioning creditor in contested winding-up proceedings (and subsequent appeals) in Hong Kong, Malaysia and the Philippines following a large investment in, and attempted restructuring of, casino operations in the Philippines.
- Acting for a Thai steel mill operator in an ICC arbitration concerning the alleged failure of a consulting firm to adequately supervise the commissioning of the steel mill.
- Representing a regional construction contractor in UNCITRAL ad hoc arbitration proceedings concerning the delayed and defective construction of an office tower in Hong Kong.
- Acting for an Indonesian media and telecommunications company defending ICC arbitration proceedings commenced by a Korean telecommunications company concerning the exercise of certain put options.
- Acting for the German administrators of a large European fashion group in respect of the appointment of provisional liquidators over its Asian subsidiary and effecting a hive down and sale of its distribution and retail business as part of a global sale.
- Acting for a global financial institution in Hong Kong proceedings concerning the ownership of gold bars, the purchase of which was financed by the bank pursuant to certain trade finance arrangements.
- Representing an international advertising company defending litigation commenced in the High Court of Hong Kong concerning the failed acquisition of a number of joint ventures in the People's Republic of China.