is a partner in O’Melveny’s Washington DC office and a member of the Antitrust and Competition and Integrated Legal Strategies Practices. Jon has a proven track record of providing effective strategic advice to senior decision makers at major international corporations. His focus on competition policy also supports his work on public-policy questions of strategic importance to clients.
Jonathan has represented clients before the federal antitrust agencies on mergers—including Hart-Scott-Rodino matters—conduct investigations, and policy issues. For example, his experience includes counseling:
- a Fortune 100 company on an integrated strategy for litigation issues concerning antitrust and intellectual-property rights;
- a Fortune 50 company on public-policy strategy impacting high-technology industries;
- a significant multinational corporation on antitrust issues arising from the proposed merger of two other companies;
- a foreign company acquiring a U.S. biotechnology company; and
- various clients in confronting litigation issues in high-technology industries.
As a Silicon Flatiron Senior Adjunct Fellow at University of Colorado Law School and member of the Advisory Board of the American Antitrust Institute, Jon is an influential voice on pressing issues in antitrust law. He is a frequent author and speaker, and is especially well-known for his focus on regulatory issues that are shaped by competition policy, particularly in the innovation industries.
Jon’s background includes serving as Chief Policy Counsel of MCI Telecommunications and previous partnerships in two nationally-known law firms. He served in the Clinton Administration as Assistant to the Secretary and Director of the Office of Policy & Strategic Planning of the Department of Commerce, focusing on economic and technology policy. He was a member of the small group of Administration officials who met regularly with Vice President Gore to address the telecommunications issues that became the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and he headed the first White House working group on the deployment of educational technology.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Counseling a supplier of genome-sequencing services in antitrust matters relating to its acquisition of an company that provided complementary, innovative services;
- Providing critical strategic guidance to a specialized software creator in a litigation matter against a competitor that involved important antitrust issues;
- Providing on-going public policy counsel to a leading telecommunications company, including advice on the creation of a new policy platform for the internet and the creation of effective public policy advocacy; and
- Assisting a leading U.S. innovation company in developing legal strategies in relation to issues at the intersection of antitrust and intellectual-property law.
Admitted to Practice,
US Supreme Court; US Courts of Appeal, Fourth, Sixth, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits Law Clerk,
Honorable Lewis F. Powell, US Supreme Court; Honorable Edward Tamm, US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit Member,
Board of Trustees, NALP Foundation; Advisory Board, American Antitrust Institute; Silicon Flatiron Senior Adjunct Fellow, University of Colorado in Boulder Author,
- China’s NDRC Penalizes Global LCD Panel Price Cartel (January 2013)
- Divided Electorate, Common Agenda in 2013 Politics and Law (December 2011)
- Privacy Reforms on the Horizon: A Primer on Pending E.U. and U.S. Privacy Proposals (December 2010)
- “Case Study of the Changing Wireless Landscape: Patent Portfolio Development and Acquisition and Litigation,” The Intersection of Patent Law and Competition Policy; Silicon Flatirons Center (October 2012) (Link: http://www.siliconflatirons.com/events.php?id=1150)
- “What Should America Do (and What Can it Agree Upon),” The Innovation Consensus: Economic Growth in 2013 and Beyond; The Information Technology & Innovation Foundation, Silicon Flatirons Center, and Technology Policy Institute (April 2012) (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsfEHGoe3z4)
- “Internet Platform Competition and Market Convergence,” The Information Technology & Innovation Foundation (April 2012) (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RkF4J0Zt_Y)
- “Competition Policy In the Internet Environment,” The Digital Broadband Migration: The Challenges of Internet Law and Governance; Silicon Flatirons Center (February 2012) (Link: http://www.siliconflatirons.com/events.php?id=1003)
- “Antitrust Challenges of Multi-Channel Distribution and Shopper Marketing,” American Antitrust Institute (June 2011)
- “Clusters Instrumental for Innovation,” Innovating in a Global Economy: Opportunities for Europe; American Chamber of Commerce to the European Union; Brussels, Belgium (October 2010) (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nxhQCKVmv4)
- “Innovation is ingenuity, not technology,” The U.S.- European Media Hub; Brussels, Belgium (October 2010) (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3Hk6y7l0Y)
- “The Future of the FCC as an Institution,” Reforming the Federal Communications Commission; Public Knowledge and Silicon Flatirons Center (January 2009) (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZaUSBlhL0Y)