Mark D. Peterson
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Mark Peterson assists a broad range of clients whenever they are exploring complex acquisitions, dealing with board-level issues, or for practical, business-savvy legal advice, because few understand the market and business pressures of the GC role like Mark. Mark began his legal career at O’Melveny in 1991, focusing on mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt offerings, SEC compliance and corporate governance, as well as other general corporate advice. He then spent 14 years in-house, serving as general counsel and chief legal officer of several public and private equity owned companies. In those roles, Mark had primary responsibility for all legal affairs, including mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, SEC and exchange reporting and compliance, intellectual property, litigation management and strategy, labor and employment, risk management, and corporate governance.
In 2011, Mark returned to O’Melveny as a corporate and securities partner, advising senior executives and boards of directors on matters ranging from corporate governance to strategic M&A transactions, capital-raising transactions, and day-to-day business and legal issues. His clients comprise a diverse group of public and private companies in industries including consumer products, healthcare, life sciences, medical devices, technology, natural resources and data analytics.
- University of California at Berkeley, J.D., 1991
- Brigham Young University, B.S., Accounting, 1988: cum laude
- Board Chairman, USA Volleyball Foundation
- Board Member, Meade Instruments Corp., a Nasdaq-listed consumer optical and electronics company
- Board Member and Executive Committee Chairman, J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Board Member, Forum for Corporate Directors
- Board Member, UCI Audit Committee Summit
- Advisory Board Member, UCI Center for Corporate Legal Leadership
- Orange County Bar Association Finance Committee
- Former Chairman, Orange County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Group
- Former Chairman, Forum for Corporate Directors GC Affinity Group
- Lecturer: UCI MBA Program, Business Law Class
- Trainer, "Public Company Disclosure and Compliance Issues," Edwards Lifesciences (August 05, 2021)