1625 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Thomas E. Donilon
is a partner in O’Melveny’s Washington, DC Office. He is Vice Chair of the firm and serves as a member of the firm’s Policy Committee. Drawing on his distinguished career in government and the private sector, Tom counsels senior business executives, entrepreneurs, and company boards as they develop strategies to address their highest level business, legal, and policy issues in the United States and abroad. A leading national security expert with an extensive global network, Tom has deep experience in global strategy, cybersecurity, financial services, and corporate governance.
He returned to the firm in 2014 after serving in the administration of President Barack Obama for over four years, most recently as National Security Advisor. In that capacity Mr. Donilon oversaw the U.S. National Security Council staff, chaired the cabinet level National Security Principals Committee, and was responsible for the coordination and integration of the administration's foreign policy, intelligence, and military efforts. Mr. Donilon served as the President’s personal emissary to a number of world leaders, including President Hu Jintao and President Xi Jinping, President Vladimir Putin, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. President Obama has said that “Tom Donilon has been one of the most effective national security advisors our country has ever had.”
Tom previously served as Assistant to the President and Principal Deputy National Security Advisor. He also chaired the Obama-Biden transition at the U.S. Department of State and headed President Obama’s general election debate preparation effort during the 2008 campaign.
Tom has worked closely with and advised three U.S. presidents since his first position at the White House in 1977, working with President Carter. He was Assistant Secretary of State and Chief of Staff at the U.S. Department of State during the Clinton administration. In this capacity, he was responsible for the development and implementation of the department’s major policy initiatives, including NATO expansion, the Dayton Peace Accords, and the Middle East peace process.
He has received the Secretary of State’s Distinguished Service Award, the National Intelligence Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Department of Defense Medal for Distinguished Public Service, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joint Distinguished Civilian Service Award, and the CIA’s Director’s Award.
Tom also previously served as Executive Vice President for Law and Policy at Fannie Mae where he was responsible for Fannie Mae’s legal, regulatory, government affairs, and public policy issues.
His return to the firm in 2014 began the fourth installment of his practice at O’Melveny. He started his legal career as an associate at the firm in 1985 and, before joining the Obama Administration in 2009, practiced as a partner representing clients on a range of sensitive governance, legal, regulatory, and policy matters. He also served as the national partner charged with overseeing the firm’s public interest and pro bono initiatives and led the firm’s successful effort to revitalize its pro bono commitment.
Tom is a member of the CIA External Advisory Board and the Defense Policy Board. He is also a distinguished fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, a non-resident senior fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, a member of the Aspen Strategy Group and the Trilateral Commission, and an Honorary Trustee at the Brookings Institution.
Tom lives in Washington, DC, with his wife Cathy Russell, and his children Sarah (17) and Teddy (15). Ms. Russell is Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women’s Issues at the U.S. Department of State.
District of ColumbiaMember,
Council on Foreign Relations; Aspen Strategy Group; Defense Policy Board; Trilateral Commission; Honorary Trustee, the Brookings Institution Public Appearances
- Face the Nation, CBS (October 11, 2015)
- Face the Nation, CBS (July 26, 2015)
- Former National Security Adviser defends Iran nuclear negotiations, CNN (March 4, 2015)
- Andrea Mitchell Reports, MSNBC (February 20, 2015)
- Face the Nation, CBS (February 8, 2015)
- The Lead with Jake Tapper, CNN (January 23, 2015)
- Interview with Charlie Rose (November 24, 2014)
- Andrea Mitchell Reports (November 19, 2014)
- Face the Nation, CBS (June 15, 2014)
- Event at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (June 2, 2014)
- Interview with Fareed Zakaria (April 27, 2013)
- Interview with Charlie Rose (April 23, 2013)
- The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, CNN (April 21, 2013)
- Face the Nation, CBS (March 16, 2014)
- Interview with Fareed Zakaria (March 9, 2014)
- Interview with Charlie Rose (March 6, 2014)
- Event at Brookings Institution (March 6, 2014)
- The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, CNN (March 5, 2014)
- This Morning, CBS (March 4, 2014)
- State of the Union with Candy Crowley, CNN (March 2, 2014)
- Face the Nation, CBS (January 19, 2014)
- Interview Charlie Rose (December 20, 2013)
- Interview with Fareed Zakaria (December 8, 2013)
- Interview with George Stephanapoulos (December 1, 2013)
- Exit Interview with Fareed Zakaria (June 30, 2013)
- Event at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government (November 29, 2012)
- Diplomat of the Year Awards Dinner (October 20, 2015)
- AIPAC Policy Conference (March 1, 2015)
- Navigating the U.S. Oil Export Debate, Columbia University Center on Global Energy Policy (January 21, 2015)
- Keynote Address: Obama in China: Preserving the Rebalance, Brookings Institution (November 5, 2014)
- Commencement Address, Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs (May 22, 2014)
- The Landon Lecture Series, Kansas State University, (April 14, 2014)
- Columbia University (April 24, 2013)
- Asia Society (March 11, 2013)
- The Emerging Global Health Crisis, Council on Foreign Relations (December, 2014)
- “A New Direction for Global Health,” Project Syndicate (December 15, 2014)
- “Obama is on the Right Track With His Reorientation Toward Asia,” Washington Post (April 20, 2014)
- “Energy and American Power,” Foreign Affairs (June 15, 2013)
- “The President’s Free-Trade Path to Prosperity,” Wall Street Journal (April 15, 2013)
- “Hezbollah Unmasked,” The New York Times (February 17, 2013)
- “America Is Back in the Pacific and Will Uphold the Rules,” Financial Times (November 27, 2011)
- “Iran Will Not Hinder Plans for a Nuclear-Free World,” Financial Times (April 17, 2011)
University of Virginia, J.D., 1985: Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review
Catholic University of America, B.A., 1977: summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; Catholic University President's Award as Outstanding Graduate
District of Columbia