A globalizing economy and innovation at an unprecedented pace are revolutionizing the business world. As technology markets evolve, traditional geographic and business sector boundaries are being rendered obsolete.
Successful companies possess the foresight to identify and exploit opportunities across the shifting technology landscape. O’Melveny appreciates the challenges they face in the competitive global economy. Our technology transactions attorneys are dedicated business lawyers who recognize that the primary value of technology companies is often in their intellectual property assets. We make it our business to understand your technology: how it works, how to protect it, and how to utilize it to maximize value and to achieve your company’s strategic objectives.
We are a leader in structuring and closing complex and novel transactions that drive the realization of technology-related value. Our track record for innovative work includes the first-ever licensing of core technology into China by a US company, and a billion dollar M&A deal for Sirna involving Nobel Prize-winning therapeutic technology. Whether the undertaking is a joint venture in China, a cross-border acquisition of intellectual property assets, or a multi-party strategic alliance, we have the global reach and experience to help you identify and manage the risks inherent to growth in the global marketplace.
- Our team is nationally and internationally recognized for its leadership. In naming us to their list of top technology transactions firms, The Legal 500 United States described us as "specializing in complex cross-border transactions," and a solid choice "for big strategic technology deals."
- Our team includes lawyers with technical backgrounds and relevant in-house experience, giving us a strong grasp of the practical and business issues facing clients. Our ranks include attorneys with professional experience in engineering, biotech, technology service provider, and startup firms.
- A number of our attorneys serve as their clients’ de facto directors of intellectual property.
- We are one of the very few firms with true global capabilities in intellectual property counseling. With lawyers dispersed among our 15 offices in the United States, Asia, and Europe, our team offers global ― and local ― counseling wherever our clients seek to do business.
- Our panoptic experience across industry sectors permits us to advise clients on undertakings in virtually any sector of the technology market, including semiconductors, life sciences and biotech, software, internet, manufacturing, media content and delivery, and alternative energy.
- Our ability to navigate complex issues at the intersection of seeming disparate geographies and business sectors makes us the firm to see for the most ambitious global transactions. We are a leader in handling transnational technology deals involving the United States and China, Japan, Europe, and the Middle East, as well as cross-sector deals, particularly at the collision point of media content and delivery application concerns.
- Life Sciences and Technology
Corporate Partnering Transactions
Entertainment and Media
International Markets - Asia and Europe
Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
Licensing, Strategic Technology Exploitation, and Business Development
Mergers and Acquisitions
Spinoffs and Restructurings