Walker J. Wallace
Walker J. Wallace
is a partner in O’Melveny’s China practice and has worked from the Firm’s Shanghai office for more than fifteen years. Walker has extensive experience in international transactions and has helped clients in a wide range of projects across Asia, from multi-nationals seeking to invest in China, to private equity funds pursuing investment strategies in Southeast Asia. In China, Walker has helped clients negotiate the complexities of investing and structuring business operations in numerous industries, including media and entertainment, consumer products, healthcare, real estate, software, retail and education.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Numerous acquisitions of office and residential buildings by international financial institutions in China
- Formation of several China-focused private equity funds
- Sale to Suntory of ASC Fine Wines, China’s leading wine distributor
- Fund investment in a leading Chinese company operating for-profit universities
- Fund investment in one of China's leading pharmaceutical retail chains
- Investment by syndicate of funds in Focus Media, China’s leading out-of-home advertising company
- Sale of Chinese banking subsidiary by an international conglomerate
- Co-investment by consortium of funds in the acquisition of a leading European heavy machinery manufacturer by a Chinese listed company
- Financing and acquisition of various Chinese-language media properties by international media companies
Before moving to Shanghai in 1997, Walker practiced in New York for several years. He is the former Chairman of the Legal Committee for the Shanghai American Chamber of Commerce, and is the co-author of “Acquisitions of Companies with Chinese Assets” and “Foreign Private Equity Investment in China: Which Way to the Exit?”
Walker was named by Chambers Asia 2013 under the categories "China, Corporate/M&A” and "China, Private Equity: Buyouts (International Firms)" and by Chambers Global 2013 in “The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business” under the Corporate/M&A category for the China region. He was also recognized by 2013 Asia-Pacific Legal 500 as a leading M&A and Private Equity Lawyer in China. In the new 2014 IFLR 1000 rankings, Walker received special recognition as a “Leading Lawyer” in the Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity categories.