Since establishing a “foreign legal consultant office” in Seoul* in 2012 following the opening of the Korean legal market, O’Melveny has ranked among the most active international law firms in the country, representing clients in sectors such as antitrust investigation, patent litigation, and mergers and acquisitions.
Indeed, our Seoul office was a natural outgrowth of the important work we handle for our Korean clients, providing us the space and technology to connect them with O’Melveny attorneys around the world. From defending Korean clients in high-stakes, US-based “make or break” intellectual property or class action litigation to navigating global antitrust and competition issues involving Korean parties to sophisticated M&A, restructurings, financings, and other corporate transactions in the Korea market, O’Melveny’s team offers the dedicated resources, deep experience, and breadth of service to achieve important goals for our clients, which include some of the most high-profile companies in Korea.
Our Korea Practice team consists of Korea practitioners with unique experience and skills our sophisticated clients need in the rapidly-evolving business environment. Los Angeles-based partner Joseph Kim, Chair of O’Melveny’s Korea Practice, oversees the Korea Practice and works closely with Seoul office attorneys as well as many other O’Melveny attorneys who work on Korea-related matters. Jae Wan Chi and Young Shin are residents of the Seoul office. Jae Wan Chi brings unique experience and wisdom from decades of experience as in-house counsel at one of the world’s largest companies. Young Shin is one of few Korea & U.S. dual-licensed lawyers working at an international law firm and is uniquely positioned to bridge the legal and cultural gaps between Korea and the U.S.
- Nearly two dozen lawyers with many years of experience advising on some of the Korea market’s most complex and high-profile legal and business matters
- Proven track record of helping clients succeed: we have worked with many of Korea’s largest and best-known companies to achieve landmark victories in multibillion-dollar international disputes and close strategically important cross-border acquisitions and financing transactions
- Strong relationships and deep knowledge built over more than two decades of activity in the Korea market: we are part of the Korean business and legal community, and members of our team have experience serving on boards of Korean companies and as members of Korean governmental and non-profit organizations
- Deep experience working with clients in a wide variety of industries, including technology, electronics, energy and energy equipment, manufacturing, airlines and transportation, entertainment and sports, and pharmaceuticals and life sciences.
* The Seoul office of O'Melveny & Myers LLP is a foreign legal consultant office approved by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Korea. Under the Foreign Legal Consultant Act of Korea, our Seoul office is only allowed to provide legal advice with respect to US law, with respect to treaties of which the United States is a party, and with respect to universally recognized customary international law. Our Seoul office is allowed to represent clients in international arbitration cases unless US law is not applicable. We work in cooperation with a number of Korean law firms. Should you require a legal opinion with respect to any Korean law matter, we would be happy to assist you in obtaining one from a Korean firm.