O’Melveny has extensive experience handling complex international mergers and obtaining clearance in challenging situations. Our Merger practice employs sophisticated antitrust strategy and cutting-edge economic analysis. And when it comes to high profile and controversial deals, we are adept at handling political issues—even under the tightest timeframes.
Our team understands the commercial realities in which clients operate, and focuses on guiding clients through to regulatory approval as rapidly and cost-effectively as possible. We are known for formulating legal strategies that are effective in front of antitrust enforcement agencies and other key audiences that come into play when a merger captures public or political attention.
- O’Melveny’s US antitrust team is well versed in obtaining regulatory approval of high-profile, strategic mergers. Our lawyers include former high-ranking government officials who maintain close contact with the enforcement agencies, offering clients invaluable insights into governmental decision-making processes. And if litigation of a high-stakes transaction becomes necessary, O’Melveny is among the few law firms with the courtroom experience necessary to litigate these complex cases successfully.
- O’Melveny’s Brussels-based European Competition team has extensive experience in obtaining merger clearances in the EU and other non-US jurisdictions, including the EU Member States, Asia, the Middle-East, and Latin America. Our team is licensed to and regularly appears before the EU Commission and National Competition Authorities, most notably before the UK Office of Fair Trading; French Competition Authority; German Federal Cartel; Italian Antitrust Authority; and Danish Competition and Consumer Authority.
- A recognized market-leader in China with a 20-year history in the country, we are active in China’s emerging competition law field, engaging in the dialog implementing China’s Antimonopoly Law and advising clients, in conjunction with local counsel, on compliance with Chinese competition rules now in effect.
- O’Melveny’s Tokyo office has a long history of representing Japanese and other international companies before the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) in connection with mergers, cartel and criminal investigations, abuse of dominance issues, and general antitrust compliance. For example, our lawyers in Tokyo filed the first-ever leniency application under Japan’s 2005 Anti-Monopoly Act and have worked on numerous other important competition matters. The Tokyo members of our antitrust team, which is made up of Japanese and US lawyers, have considerable experience in navigating Japan’s anti-competition laws and working with regulatory agencies in Japan and around the globe.
- Through O’Melveny’s frequent involvement in the representation of companies in multi-jurisdictional filings around the world, we have developed strong relationships with local counsel in all the key jurisdictions, providing seamless service based on highly skilled specialists in each locality. O’Melveny works with local counsel in these jurisdictions to develop overall strategy, manage information requests, and keep the client aware of the expected timing of clearances and the overall progress towards receiving all necessary clearances.
AT&T and Time WarnerAs lead trial counsel for both AT&T and Time Warner, O’Melveny defended the companies’ landmark US$85.4 billion merger against claims by the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division that the transaction would harm competition and should be blocked. Read
HoneywellWhen Honeywell’s US$5.1 billion acquisition of the Elster Division of Melrose Industries plc drew scrutiny from antitrust authorities around the world, O’Melveny lawyers worldwide mobilized to defend the transaction before the Federal Trade Commission, China’s Ministry of Commerce, and the European Commission. Read
- American Airlines Group Inc.
- Bumble Bee Seafoods
- Dealertrack Technologies
- Honeywell International
- Norsk Hydro ASA
- Precision Castparts Corporation
- Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
- Sysco Corporation
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
“Their dedication to having subject matter expertise has been incredible.”
- Chambers USA