O’Melveny Awards US$140,000 in 2016 Scholarships to LAUSD StudentsJune 06, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOS ANGELES, CA--June 6, 2016--O’Melveny, one of the largest and oldest law firms in Los Angeles, will hold its 26th annual O’Melveny Scholarship Dinner to honor 15 academically promising students. At the dinner, eight fifth graders from LAUSD’s O’Melveny Elementary School in San Fernando will receive an O’Melveny Scholastic Encouragement Award, making each of them eligible to receive, upon graduation from high school, a US$20,000 scholarship covering four years of college expenses. In addition, seven O’Melveny Scholars who are now college-bound high school graduates, each of whom has satisfied the program’s requirements, will receive their four-year scholarships.
The dinner will be held on Tuesday, June 7, 2016, starting at 5 pm at the Sheraton Universal Hotel, 333 Universal Hollywood Drive, Universal City, CA, 91608. Dr. Linda Lopez, Chief of the Office of Immigrant Affairs with the City of Los Angeles, is this year’s keynote speaker. Linda is responsible for providing overall strategic advice to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti on the city’s immigration policy agenda and creating innovative programs to integrate immigrants into the city’s social, economic, and political fabric.
O’Melveny Scholars obtain their scholarships from the 131-year-old firm upon graduation from high school and enrollment in an accredited institution of higher learning. The education awards are designed both to recognize the elementary school students’ early scholastic merit and to serve as an incentive to each O’Melveny Scholar to make academic achievement a definite part of his or her future plans. The annual US$5,000 scholarships may be used for tuition, books, and other educational expenses during college.
A few key facts from the O’Melveny Scholarship Programs’ remarkable 26-year history:
- The O’Melveny Scholarship Program has provided 220 LAUSD students a helping hand in realizing their dreams of attending college.
- O’Melveny has distributed more than US$1.6 million to O’Melveny Elementary students.
- Across all of its offices worldwide, O’Melveny has contributed or committed more than US$9 million dollars in scholarship awards for students in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Shanghai, and Beijing.
- O’Melveny Scholars have graduated from universities such as MIT, Brown University, Stanford University, USC, and UCLA.
- Sixty-four O’Melveny Scholars currently attend high school, middle school, or elementary school, and 151 have attended college or are working toward a degree. To date, 46 O’Melveny Scholars have realized their dreams and obtained a college degree.
- Many O’Melveny Scholars have established rewarding careers in the public and private sectors, including five who have returned to work at O’Melveny Elementary School.
About O’Melveny & Myers LLP
O’Melveny’s clients shape markets, set precedents, and break boundaries. They are stalwarts and innovators, the names you trust and the next big thing. And for more than a century, O’Melveny has been right beside them, kicking down walls and putting up defenses to help our clients achieve their most important goals. With approximately 700 lawyers in 15 offices worldwide guided by the principles of excellence, leadership, and citizenship, we uphold a tradition of treating our clients’ challenges and opportunities as our own. What do you want to achieve? For the answers, please visit www.omm.com.