O’Melveny Awards US$160,000 in Scholarships to LAUSD StudentsJune 02, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
O’Melveny & Myers LLP
LOS ANGELES, CA--June 2, 2014--O’Melveny & Myers LLP, one of the largest and oldest law firms in Los Angeles, will hold its 24th annual O’Melveny & Myers LLP Scholarship Dinner to honor 16 academically promising students. At the dinner, eight fifth graders from LAUSD’s O’Melveny Elementary School in San Fernando will receive an O’Melveny Scholastic Encouragement Award, making them eligible to receive--upon graduation from high school--a US$20,000 scholarship covering four years of college expenses. In addition, eight O’Melveny Scholars who are now college-bound high school graduates, each of whom has satisfied the program’s requirements, will receive their four-year scholarships.
The dinner will be held on Tuesday, June 3, 2014, starting at 5 pm at the Sheraton Universal Hotel, 333 Universal Hollywood Drive, Universal City, CA, 91608. Acclaimed mystery novelist and Los Angeles Times journalist Denise Hamilton is this year’s keynote speaker.
The scholarships are awarded by the 128-year-old firm to the designated scholars upon graduation from high school and enrollment in an accredited institution of higher education. The education awards are designed both to recognize the elementary school students’ early scholastic merit and to serve as an incentive to make academic achievement a definite part of their future plans. The annual US$5,000 scholarships can be used for tuition, books, and other educational expenses during college.
A few key facts from the O’Melveny Scholarships’ remarkable 20-plus-year history:
• The O’Melveny Scholarship Program has offered 212 LAUSD students a helping hand in realizing their dreams of attending college.
• The Firm has distributed more than US$1.4 million to O’Melveny Elementary students.
• In total, O’Melveny has contributed or committed about US$4 million dollars in scholarship awards for students in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Shanghai, and Beijing.
• O’Melveny Scholars have graduated from universities such as MIT, Brown University, Stanford, USC, and UCLA.
• Sixty-four O’Melveny Scholars currently attend high school, middle school, or elementary school, and 137 have attended college or are working toward a degree. To date, 41 O’Melveny Scholars have graduated college.
• Many O’Melveny Scholars have established rewarding careers in the public and private sectors, including five who have returned to work at O’Melveny Elementary School.
About O’Melveny & Myers LLP
With approximately 800 lawyers in 16 offices worldwide, O’Melveny & Myers LLP helps industry leaders across a broad array of sectors manage the complex challenges of succeeding in the global economy. We are a values-driven law firm, guided by the principles of excellence, leadership, and citizenship. Our commitment to these values is reflected in our dedication to improving access to justice through pro bono work and championing initiatives that increase the diversity of the legal profession. For more information, please visit www.omm.com.