Alexander Chester focuses his practice on the sports industry, where he represents and counsels clients including professional and collegiate sports teams and leagues, owners and acquirers of professional sports teams, and universities and state and local governments in connection with stadium development projects, construction agreements, lease agreements, the acquisition of professional sports franchises, and strategic counsel. Mr. Chester’s representative work in the sports industry includes representing developers, governments, major NCAA Division I universities and MLB and MLS teams in the development and construction of stadiums and media rights transactions, and purchasers and sellers of minority interests in MLB franchises.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Mr. Chester was a sports, real estate, and mergers and acquisitions associate at top Am Law 100 firms in New York City. Mr. Chester’s real estate experience includes representing developers, major corporations, real estate funds, investment banks, institutional lenders, property owners, tenants and joint venture partners in the acquisition, financing, management, leasing, subleasing and operation of office buildings, retail centers, hotels and commercial projects. Mr. Chester’s representative real estate work includes multibillion dollar acquisitions in the healthcare industry and acquisitions and financings of major commercial office buildings, hotels and senior housing portfolios in New York City and across the United States. Mr. Chester’s real estate pro bono work includes negotiating lease documents for charter schools and other non-profit organizations and representing indigent clients in public housing matters.
Honors & Awards
- James H. Fogelson Emerging Leadership Award, UJA-Federation of New York (2021)
- Advocate of the Year, American Israel Public Affairs Committee (2010)
- Harvard University, J.D., supervising editor, executive board member, and symposium director, Harvard Journal on Legislation
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., summa cum laude; Dean’s List; Pi Sigma Alpha
- President Stephen Adler, Chief Justice of Israel’s National Labor Court (2010)
- Sports Lawyers Association
- UJA-Federation of New York, Member of Shared Society Committee and Young Lawyers Leadership Committee
- New York City Bar Association
- Panelist, “‘Game On’ Sports and the Law,” Temple University Beasley School of Law (April 19, 2018)