Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Bruce Tobey is a highly regarded entertainment transactions lawyer with more than a decade of executive experience. Bruce’s practice covers all aspects of production, distribution, financing and licensing of feature film and television productions as well as digital media. He also provides strategic and operational advice to investors and companies in both traditional and new media.
Bruce is the former Chief Operating Officer of CBS Films, which he helped found, and oversaw all aspects of its motion picture development, production, and distribution businesses and operations. His executive duties included the negotiation of all of the company’s strategic agreements, including key distribution and production arrangements.
Previously, Bruce served as Executive Vice President of Paramount Pictures Corporation. There he was responsible for the business, legal, and administrative operations of the company, including Paramount’s digital entertainment division, and the financing of both individual films and slates, and was involved in the full range of key transactions and strategic decisions for the company. He also served as one of two Paramount representatives on the Motion Picture Association of America’s Board of Directors. Bruce also served as an Executive Vice President of the Viacom Entertainment Group, which comprised businesses focused on television production and distribution, print publication, consumer products, theatres, and music publishing.
Before joining Paramount, Bruce was the General Counsel and Vice President of Broadband Sports, an “all-sports” on-line business venture. Prior to that, Bruce was in private practice for over 15 years, during which time he specialized in entertainment transactions work and achieved the status of named partner at a firm of approximately 150 lawyers.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® for Entertainment Law - Motion Pictures and Television in Century City, CA; Tobey has been listed in Best Lawyers® since 2023
- Named to the Hollywood Reporter Annual Power Lawyers list (2015, 2020)
- Recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” in Banking, Industry Sector: Entertainment, and Mergers & Acquisitions by IFLR1000 (2019 - 2021)
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Media & Entertainment: Transactional in California by Chambers USA (2019-2022)
- Named a “Dealmaker” by Variety (2014-2021)
- Selected for inclusion in Variety’s Legal Impact Report (2018, 2020)
- Recognized by Variety magazine for excellence in the area of entertainment law (2013, 2015, 2018)
- Named a leading lawyer for Media, Technology and Telecoms: Telecoms and Broadcast: Transactional by Legal 500 (2013, 2017-2018), recommended for Media, Technology and Telecoms: Media and Entertainment (2019), recommended (2020) and leading lawyer (2021-2022) for Media & Entertainment: Transactional
- Named a “Dealmaker” by The Hollywood Reporter (2017)
- University of California, Los Angeles, J.D., 1984
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1981