Edwin Kwok is a partner in O’Melveny’s Hong Kong office with extensive experience advising major investment banks, healthcare and TMT issuers, life science and biotech firms, Chinese state-owned enterprises, real estate and property management companies on their initial public offerings, cross-border acquisitions, public takeovers, privatizations, spin-offs, and follow-on offerings of equity and debt securities.
Edwin’s extensive experience includes advising on some of the most significant capital markets and mergers and acquisitions transactions in the Asia region. He has advised on numerous securities offerings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, public takeovers and listing rules regulated notifiable transactions, some of which were highly complex involving complicated cross border implications. He is especially noted for expertise PRC real estate and property management companies’ listings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. He is also deeply experienced with privatizations and takeovers of Hong Kong listed companies.
Edwin has led in building and positioning O’Melveny as the market leader for life science and biotech capital markets transactions following the adoption by the Hong Kong Stock Exchange of Chapter 18A into its listing rules. Edwin led the O’Melveny team for RemeGen’s debut on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 2020, which was the world’s largest biopharma primary listing and IPO of 2020 and recognized as deal of the year for 2020 by China Business Law Journal. Edwin was named A-List of China’s 100 Elite Foreign Lawyers by China Business Law Journal in 2022.
Edwin is highly praised by various legal league tables and publications such as Chambers Global, Chambers Greater China Region, Legal500 and IFLR1000. Selected accolades include:
- “He really knows Hong Kong capital markets, is highly responsive and is both capable and clever. He has a razor-sharp mind and is very thorough. He’s an excellent strategic thinker, a pragmatic lawyer and is very commercially savvy.” (Chambers Greater China Region 2023)
- “Edwin is a very experienced lawyer who solves sophisticated issues for his clients and gets things done.” (Chambers Greater China Region 2023)
- “He’s quite resourceful and is quite experienced in our line of work, which is Hong Kong listings. He’s always there when we need advice and is quite proactive in giving his view as well.” (Chambers Greater China Region 2023) “He has the ability to look through the big picture of the entire transaction and applies excellent judgement to it. He is always reassuring and inspires confidence in his clients; I can see that the bankers really trust him.” (Chambers Greater China Region 2022)
- “He stays very calm, no matter how strong the time pressure is, and our team also noted that Edwin has an encyclopedic knowledge of Hong Kong IPOs and can easily point us to any precedent that can shed light on the issues we face.” (Chambers Greater China Region 2022)
- “As a brokerage lawyer, Edwin Kwok can give the sponsor clear feedback on key issues. As an issuer’s lawyer, he can also fully protect the interests of the issuer and have an effective relationship with the sponsor.” (Legal500 2022)
- “Edwin Kwok is very impressive in terms of managing clients and legal matters” (Legal500 2021)
- “Kwok’s equity capital markets and M&A experience makes him particularly well placed to assist businesses with raising capital and undertaking strategically important investment activities” (Legal500 2018)
- Recognized as a Highly regarded M&A lawyer by International Financial Law Review (IFLR) in its 2022-2023 “Leading Lawyer” edition
Before joining O’Melveny, Edwin was a partner in the Hong Kong office of another international law firm and had been seconded to China Unicom and N.M. Rothschild & Sons (Hong Kong) Limited as in-house legal counsel.