John-Paul Motley is Chair of the Firm’s Capital Markets Practice and previously served on the Firm’s Policy Committee and as the Managing Partner of the Los Angeles office. John-Paul has experience in securities law matters, mergers and acquisitions, and other general corporate law matters. He represents issuers and underwriters in equity offerings, such as initial public offerings, private placements, and secondary offerings, as well as debt offerings, from high-yield offerings to investment grade issuances. In addition, John-Paul advises public companies with securities law compliance, disclosure issues, and corporate governance matters. John-Paul’s issuer clients include Air Lease Corporation, American Honda Finance Corporation, Aviation Capital Group LLC, Edwards Lifesciences Corporation, Insurance Auto Auctions, Inc., Malibu Boats, Inc., Ocwen Financial Corp., Sabra Health Care REIT, Inc., Semtech Corporation, Spyglass Media Group, Sportsman’s Warehouse, Inc., Verso Corporation, and Willdan Group, Inc.
John-Paul is recognized as a leading capital markets lawyer by Chambers USA, Legal 500, and the International Financial Law Review.
Honors & Awards
- Highly regarded by IFLR1000 in Capital Markets: Debt and Equity (2018-2020), Real Estate, Technology & Telecommunications, and Transport (2019-2020) and a "Leading Lawyer" in Capital Markets: Debt and Equity (2017)
- Ranked by Chambers Global in Capital Markets: Debt & Equity: Western United States (2020)
- Ranked by Chambers USA in Capital Markets: Debt & Equity (2015-2020)
- Named a Southern California “Rising Star” in a survey conducted by Law & Politics Media Inc. and published in Los Angeles magazine and the Southern California edition of Super Lawyers (2005-2013)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US (2010-2020)
- Recognized by International Financial Law Review (2012-2019)
- Vanderbilt University, J.D., 1999: Order of the Coif; Special Projects Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
- Vanderbilt University, M.B.A., 1999: Beta Gamma Sigma
- University of Memphis, B.B.A., 1995: summa cum laude
- “Corporate Governance - A New Era Evolving” (2019)
- Former Managing Partner, Los Angeles Office of O’Melveny & Myers