Larry Sussman is the office head and chief representative of O’Melveny’s Beijing office. Larry speaks Mandarin, is based in Beijing (since 1998), and has extensive experience doing business in China in multiple practice areas.
Larry’s practice covers three main areas: China transactional work, tax structuring and disputes, and other China regulatory matters.
In the transactional area, Larry has represented clients in many “firsts” as they have entered the China market over time. As a result, his practice in the transactional area has evolved with the development of China, and each new matter/area often requires sophisticated problem-solving skills and experience. Historical “firsts” in formerly restricted and prohibited industry sectors for foreign investment in China that Larry advised on included joint ventures, M&A, and partnerships with respect to retail, basic telecommunications, value-added telecommunications, trade, semiconductors, e-commerce, real estate, onshore RMB private equity funds, outbound RMB private equity funds, and distressed investments and lending transactions. Current transactions Larry covers are those in the film and entertainment area for China, as detailed in Experience.
In the tax structuring and disputes area, Larry is well-known in the market as one of few tax lawyers able to handle sophisticated cross-border structuring matters and their associated documentation, as well as the favorable settlement of various tax investigations in China. Larry regularly represents the most active international financial institutions in China with respect to their most sensitive tax matters.
In other China regulatory areas, Larry has led and helped resolve numerous crisis situations in China, including IP enforcement crisis matters, labor disruption matters, trapped cash pitfalls, regulator disagreements, and other difficulties involving various regulatory campaigns or abrupt shifts in governmental policy.
Larry also serves on the Firm’s Policy Committee, which is the Firm’s board of directors, has previously served on the Firm’s partner compensation committee, serves on the Firm’s audit committee, is the regional head of transactions for Asia, and is the Chair of the Firm’s Asia Committee.
Honors & Awards
- Ranked a leading lawyer in China by Chambers Asia for Tax (2009-2013) and Investment Funds (2013)
- Recommended by Legal500 for Investment Funds and Tax practice in China (2013); named by Asialaw Profiles as a leading lawyer and tax expert in China (2013)
- Named by Who’s Who Legal as an expert in Corporate Tax (2013)
- Described as “highly regarded in the international tax field” by International Tax Review (2012)
- Listed as a top global tax adviser in Tax Directors Handbook (2009-2013)
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation
- New York University School of Law, J.D.
- Baruch College of the City University of New York, BBA: salutatorian
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section
- Committee on Foreign Activities of U.S. Taxpayers and Committee on U.S. Activities of Foreign Taxpayers
Member of Advisory Board
- U.S.-Asia Law Institute at NYU
- China Tax Forum
- American Chamber of Commerce in Beijing
- Tax Management Portfolio, No. 957, Business Operations in the People’s Republic of China
- Tax Notes International (covering China)
- International Bar Association, Taxes Committee (covering China)
- China Intellectual Property Rights Advisory Program, American Bar Association
Editorial Board Member
- China Tax Intelligence Magazine