Luann Simmons, Managing Partner of O’Melveny’s San Francisco office, worked for several years as a software developer and software development manager before attending law school. At O’Melveny, Luann uses her strong background in physics and computer science to assist technology clients in the enforcement, defense and litigation of patent, trade secret, copyright, and other intellectual property rights.
The Daily Journal recognized Luann as a “2019 Top Women Lawyer” and named Luann to its list of “Top Intellectual Property Lawyers in California” in 2014. The Recorder named her to its list of “Women Leaders in Tech Law” in 2017 and 2014. Luann’s other honors include recognition in the Profiles in Diversity Journal as one of its 2013 “Women Worth Watching” as well as being named a “Super Lawyer” in intellectual property litigation for several years in surveys conducted by Law & Politics Media Inc. Her work has been published in San Francisco Magazine and the Northern California edition of Super Lawyers.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a “2019 Top Women Lawyer,” The Daily Journal (2019)
- Named to the list of “Women Leaders in Tech Law,” The Recorder (2014, 2017)
- Named as one of the “Top Intellectual Property Lawyers in California,” The Daily Journal (2014)
- Recognized as a “Women Worth Watching,” Profiles in Diversity Journal (2013)
- Consistently ranked as a “Super Lawyer” in Intellectual Property Litigation, Law & Politics Media Inc.
- US District Court, Northern, Eastern, and Central Districts of California
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth and Federal Circuits
- US Supreme Court
- Loyola Marymount University, J.D., 1999: cum laude; Order of the Coif
- Pomona College, B.A., Physics, 1990: with honors
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum (2014-2017)
- Tenderloin Health (2008-2009)
- Panelist, “The Section 101 Struggle: Patent-Eligibility Under 35 U.S.C. 101,” Federal Circuit Bar Association's Bench & Bar Conference (Jun. 12, 2019)