Navigating Asia TodayNovember 13, 2019
O’Melveny partner David Makarechian was among the featured panelists for a recent event that explored the tectonic shift in Asia’s business landscape and how companies in the US, China, and Southeast Asia are responding to these developments. “Navigating Asia Today” was hosted by Singapore Exchange (SGX), Asia’s leading multi-asset exchange operating equity, fixed income, and derivatives markets, and drew both Asia- and US-based investors, startups, and larger companies.
Makarechian was invited to lend his insights by virtue of his more than twenty-five years of experience representing acquirers and targets in the technology and emerging growth company sectors, including extensive work on deals involving South and South East Asia. He joined Mike Avila, Vice President of the Singapore Stock Exchange; Tom McCabe, Managing Director at DBS Bank; and Brandon Chew, Singapore Economic Development Board member and Regional Director of EDB, to discuss topics that included:
- The impact of recent US-China developments on business in Asia and how companies ought to mitigate geopolitical risks;
- Which regions in Asia are the most stable; legally, politically, and economically and how to remain attractive locations for regional headquarters, engineering or R&D centers, supply chains, and other setups;
- The outlook of Asian financial markets, financial ecosystem, and investor sentiments given the current environment;
- The state of Asia’s tech sector, and the most compelling opportunities for US companies; and
- Best practices for companies to approach issues such as capital structure, taxes, supplier relationships, and M&A, including resources and where to find ‘experts’
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.