The Evolution of Technology and Internet Connectivity: What Investors and Business Owners Need to KnowOctober 20, 2016
Thursday, October 20, 2016
Registration: 3:30 PM
Panel One: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Panel Two: 5:15 PM - 6:15 PM
Petersen Automotive Museum
6060 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036
The fast-growing Internet of Things (IoT) offers great opportunities—for both businesses and investors—and new challenges. Whether your interest is technology, commercialization, venture capital, or regulation, now is the time to explore the rewards and potential risks of this pioneering multibillion-dollar industry.
- “How Rigged Are Stock Markets? Evidence from Microsecond Timestamps” article by Robert Bartlett
- “A Founder's Guide to Unicorn Creation: How Liquidation Preferences in M&A Transactions Affect Start-Up Valuation” article by Robert Bartlett
- “Start With Security” FTC Pamphlet
- Panelist Bios
Welcome remarks by Maggie Carter, Partner, O’Melveny & Myers LLP
1. The Future of IoT Businesses: Groundbreaking Technologies, Commercialization Opportunities, and Risk Management
Our first panel, at 4 p.m., focuses on the potentially revolutionary benefits of IoT’s consumer applications. Emerging technology innovations can automate many everyday processes, transmitting data that tracks lifestyle habits, enhances business efficiency, and promotes energy savings. The experts on this panel will discuss communication plans for startups, market opportunities, consumer expectations and demands, and strategies for navigating compliance issues.
- Terrell McSweeny, FTC Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission
- Chip Lutton, Vice President and General Counsel, Nest Labs
- Jiani Zhang, Director of Product Management, Internet of Things, IBM
- Ben LaBolt, Founding Partner, The Incite Agency
- Matthew Close, Partner, O’Melveny & Myers LLP
2. Charting the Investment Path: Venture Capital and Private Equity Trends in Emerging Technology
The second panel, at 5:15 p.m., centers on investment trends and opportunities in the emerging technology and IoT space. Our experts will review the biggest deals in venture capital investments and share insights on what private equity firms look for when identifying targets.
- Robert Bartlett, Faculty Co-Director, Berkeley Center for Law Business and the Economy
- Gerald Parsky, Chairman, Aurora Capital Group
- Dipak Patel, Co-Founder & CEO, Zeality, Inc.
- Tony Wang, Partner, O’Melveny & Myers LLP
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.