In a rapidly changing energy sector, O’Melveny helps clients capitalize on opportunities and manage risks with a deep understanding of the market forces and legal issues at work. For more than a century, we have advised the energy and utility industry on a full range of goals and challenges, from financings, acquisitions, and new ventures to regulatory proceedings, litigation and restructurings.
Our team’s capabilities span multiple segments of the industry, including the generation, transmission, and distribution of clean and renewable energy and the upstream, midstream, and downstream divisions of the oil and gas sector. We represent both private and public industry participants, including lenders, advisors, developers, owners, investors, underwriters, and governmental entities.
When it comes to dealing with governmental entities or addressing conflicts arising out of contractual relationships, we tap our tax and regulatory lawyers to address compliance and enforcement challenges. And our trial lawyers have successfully resolved some of the industry’s most complex litigation, including environmental emergencies.
Clean and Renewable Energy
- O’Melveny’s team includes highly regarded lawyers with deep experience in the solar, wind, ethanol, biodiesel, biomass, geothermal, hydroelectric, and clean and sustainable technology sectors. Our experience includes structuring some of the industry’s most innovative deals.
Oil and Gas
- Our work in the oil and gas sector encompasses all aspects of the industry, including financing, exploration and production, refining, transportation, marketing, and governmental regulation. We feature a platform that is unique in its diversity, built to help clients involved in oil and gas—and the investors who finance them—achieve their objectives in the most efficient way possible.
- In the utilities sector, we have handled the structuring, development, and financing of a wide array of electricity generating facilities, including utility projects, large independent power projects, cogeneration facilities, electricity transmission and distribution systems, and small power production facilities.
Diverse Litigation Matters
- Civil and criminal suits and proceedings
- Citizen suits
- Class actions and mass torts
- Natural resource damage claims
- Siting challenges
Insightful Regulatory Work
- Authorizations for transfers of ownership and securities issuances
- Rate proceedings
- Rulemaking proceedings
- Enforcement matters
- Complaint proceedings
- Appeals from agency decisions
- Export controls
- Economic sanctions
- Trade remedies
- Trade policies