O’Melveny has been synonymous with entertainment law since Hollywood’s Golden Age in the 1930s. For decades, we have helped major players in film, television and cable, production and distribution, the internet, video games, music, finance, investment, and dozens of household-name performers successfully tackle groundbreaking deals and high-profile disputes. As financial models and technological advances transform today’s entertainment and media business, one thing remains the same – O’Melveny remains the firm of choice for industry leaders.
Entertainment and Media Transactions
Our reputation as a leading firm for complex media and entertainment transactions is predicated on our in-depth industry knowledge, extensive experience, and rich tradition of approaching every deal with diligence, perspective, and innovation.
- Lawyers in our Century City, Silicon Valley, Singapore, and three China offices are active participants in the burgeoning media and entertainment industry in Asia, helping clients develop, finance, distribute, and license films and television programs in and outside of Asia. We provide a critical link for companies that have developed valuable content, applications and other products, bridging the gap between new media and Hollywood.
- We offer clients decades of experience with complex distribution and licensing agreements, financings, joint ventures and strategic alliances, and mergers and acquisitions.
Entertainment and Media Disputes
Few firms, if any, in the US can equal the experience and practice depth we bring to difficult, high-profile entertainment and media disputes. Our rich history gives us unique perspective on the entertainment landscape and a keen understanding of the importance of tailoring innovative strategies to the needs of each case or controversy.
- On the leading edge of entertainment and media law, we help clients navigate rapid innovations in technology, and the ways they can affect content creation and distribution.
- As emerging products and platforms give rise to novel legal disputes in areas such as intellectual property, contracts, and the First Amendment, we bring skill, experience, and creativity to defend our clients’ interests.
Bona Film Group
O’Melveny represented Bona, a publicly listed, Chinese motion picture distribution company, in its US$235 million investment in a slate of Hollywood tentpole movies from 20th Century Fox. Read
Fox Broadcasting, FremantleMedia, CORE Media Group, and others.
O’Melveny secured the dismissal of a proposed class action lawsuit filed in New York by former “American Idol” contestants who claimed that the defendants had for 10-plus years unlawfully discriminated against African-American men. Read
Lionsgate Entertainment Corp.
O’Melveny represented Lionsgate in its multiyear slate co-financing deal with Hunan TV & Broadcast Intermediary Co. Ltd. in reportedly the biggest investment in Hollywood by a Chinese company to date. Read
Madison Square Garden
In 2015, O’Melveny secured Madison Square Garden’s dismissal from a lawsuit brought against the venue and other defendants by the family of a boxer who sustained serious injuries during a heavyweight match. Read
O’Melveny counseled NextVR, which broadcasts events live in virtual reality, in its US$30.5 million Series A financing led by venture firm Formation 8. Read
Sirius XM Radio, Inc
O’Melveny represented Sirius XM in a series of landmark lawsuits concerning the infringement of a claimed “performance right” for sound recordings made before February 1972. Read
O’Melveny represented Skydance Productions, LLC in the negotiation and conclusion of a five-year senior secured revolving credit facility. Read
STX Motion Pictures Group
O’Melveny represented STX Motion Pictures Group, a division of global media company STX Entertainment, in a three-year agreement with EuropaCorp Films USA to provide theatrical marketing and distribution services for EuropaCorp’s upcoming film releases in the United States. Read
Twentieth Century Fox Television
When Twentieth Century Fox faced a multi-million-dollar demand over the use of “Empire” as the title for its hit drama television series, it turned to O’Melveny to protect the use of the name and fight alleged trademark violations. Read
Walt Disney Company
O’Melveny successfully defended Disney against claims brought by Wind Dancer, which represents former writers and producers of the show “Home Improvement,” challenging Disney’s accounting of net profits from the show. The court granted Disney’s summary adjudication motion on the grounds that Wind Dancer’s claims were time-barred. Read
O’Melveny represented Warner Bros. in a joint venture with a consortium led by private equity firm China Media Capital (CMC) to launch a movie studio division, Flagship Entertainment Group. Read
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
O’Melveny helped Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. and its subsidiary DC Comics resolve a long running dispute over copyrights to the Superman character. Read
- Anschutz Entertainment Group
- Alcon Entertainment
- Alibaba Group
- Focus Features
- Fox Broadcasting
- Huayi Brothers International
- Lions Gate Entertainment
- Miramax Films
- Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Starz Entertainment
- Warner Bros.
- The Weinstein Co.