Automated & Connected Vehicles
With the transportation industry poised for an automated revolution, O’Melveny is an authority on the latest legal and regulatory developments as well as a thought-leader on the legal issues that innovators will face in the coming years.
We advise and represent automated vehicle clients in transactional, regulatory, and liability-related matters, including counseling clients on key issues regarding data security, privacy, and advertising exposure. Our cross-practice team leverages experience in products liability, intellectual property and technology, false advertising, regulatory, and venture capital, to help clients both manage risk and identify opportunities. We also have deep experience in technologies relevant to automated vehicles including location detection and services, sensors, cameras, advanced driver assistance, artificial intelligence, and telecommunications and mobile connectivity.
Our full-service team can offer support in any areas of need, including the following:
- Corporate. We work with leading automotive and technology clients to complete challenging mergers, acquisitions, and cross-border undertakings, resolve crisis boardroom situations, address compliance issues, navigate day-to-day corporate concerns, develop effective intellectual property, tax, employment, and benefits strategies, and more.
- Data Security and Privacy. We help clients devise plans to prevent unwanted disclosure of information, prepare for incident response, conduct investigation, and prepare for litigation and regulatory proceedings. We watch and predict federal and state regulations and developing industry practices regarding data security and privacy standards.
- Intellectual Property Strategy and Disputes. We combine the depth and attention of an intellectual property boutique with the unmatched resources of a global litigation powerhouse. We advise companies on how to develop intelligent and efficient IP strategies, and we represent clients in must-win intellectual property disputes at the state and federal level, and in the United States International Trade Commission.
- Product Liability and Class Actions. In a shifting regulatory landscape, automated and connected vehicles raise complex liability questions relating to engineering, manufacturing and supply relationships, instructions and warnings, and advertising. For decades, leaders in the automotive sector have turned to our experienced litigators to avoid potential pitfalls and defend high stakes claims.
- Raising Capital. Our lawyers can help companies raise equity and debt from domestic and global venture capital and private equity firms and the public markets.
- Regulatory and Government Affairs. We are experts on the legislative and regulatory landscape affecting automated and connected vehicles, and we leverage extensive and longstanding connections to the government and key players to advise on political trends, policymaking agendas, and pitfalls confronting clients.
- Autotech Ventures
- EXO Technologies
- Harman International Industries
- Menlo Ventures
- Mitsui USA
- Savari, Inc.
- Waycare Technologies
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.