O’Melveny helps funds and investors across the industry spectrum attain their business goals with work that Chambers and Partners has said “continually impresses.” Our Investment Funds and Private Equity Practice advises clients on all the legal issues that impact funds, including regulatory, tax and corporate/partnership matters, and we are the market leader in secondary transactions, working with clients on innovative and complex transactions with investment assets around the world.
Our team works closely with both general partners on fundraisings and their own structures; and limited partners, including some of the world’s most active institutional investors, on investments both into private equity and other alternative investment funds. We also advise on co-investments, and on the sale or acquisition of investment advisors.
Clients benefit from our global, team approach, which allows us to share information across offices and keep current about trends in the marketplace and the legal or regulatory issues facing clients.
- We have deep experience advising European mid-market private equity funds, and our team has carved an important niche in this area.
- Our US team is a leader in infrastructure, real estate and debt funds. This extensive experience is leveraged by the group when forming new funds for our sponsor clients.
- Our Asia team, which possesses Mandarin-fluency and extensive knowledge of PRC cross-border regulations, assists clients with offshore USD-denominated funds as well as bespoke vehicles designed to access capital within the Mainland. Our track record for innovative work includes the first-ever renminbi-denominated fund approved by the Ministry of Commerce.
- With funds facing increasing regulation internationally, we work with Europe, US, and Asia-based funds to help them navigate the complex regulatory issues facing the industry, including the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive in Europe and the Investment Adviser Regulation in the US. Our specialist compliance teams have in depth knowledge of both the applicable rules and also how funds work in practice so are able to provide focused, relevant and commercially minded advice.
- With the increased interest in establishing and investing in emerging market-focused funds showing no signs of slowing, we routinely advise clients, from the well-established and largest funds, to the most promising, on their fundraising needs. We work in particular with investors and managers on funds focused on sub-Saharan Africa, Turkey, and across South-East Asia.
Representative clients include:
- Abax Global Capital
- Adelis Equity Partners
- Apollo Global Management
- Black Soil Asset Management
- CDC Group plc
- CenturyLink Investment Management Company
- China Investment Corporation
- Coller Capital
- Credit Suisse
- Development Partners International
- ECM Equity Capital Management
- Egeria Capital Management
- Emerald Media Advisors
- Freeman Spogli & Co.
- Gaja Capital
- GIC Private Limited
- Greensphere Capital
- Helios Investment Partners
- Impax Asset Management
- IFM Investors
- KAUST Investment Management Company
- McKinsey Investment Office
- Merced Capital Partners
- NineAlpha Capital
- Oberland Capital
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Private Advisors, LLC
- Secured Capital Investment Management Co.
- Shamrock Capital Advisors
- Shoreline Capital Management
- Turk Venture Partners