Alex Anderson focuses his practice on US federal and state income tax law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy and financial restructuring transactions, financing transactions, investment funds, cross-border tax planning, securities offerings, investment fund structuring, aviation and equipment finance, and inbound and outbound investment structures. Alex is recognized by Chambers USA and The Legal 500 United States as a leading tax lawyer.
In addition to his commercial work, Alex has dedicated significant time to pro bono matters and has been recognized by the New York State Bar Association as an “Empire State Counsel” for his commitment to pro bono on behalf of low-income and vulnerable clients. He has counseled numerous artists, playwrights, filmmakers, musicians, small and micro-business owners and entrepreneurs on a pro bono basis in support of their for-profit and not-for-profit entity formations, conflict-of-interest policies, and applications for tax-exempt status.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Recognized Practitioner for Tax in New York (2016-2019)
- The Legal 500 US, Tax (2015-2018, 2020-2022)
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1999
- Boston College, B.A., 1996
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section
- “Carried Interest Tax Rules Could Bring Legal Fights for Treasury,” Bloomberg Tax (August 2020)
- “Structuring Carried Interest After U.S. Tax Reform,” Bloomberg Tax (September 2018), Tax Management Memorandum, Vol. 59. No. 21 (October 15, 2018) (expanded version)
- “A Guide to the New, Improved Section 355(e) Regulations,” Mergers and Acquisitions, 3, no. 4 (August 2002), Swartz, Linda Z. and Alexander F. Anderson
- “New, Improved ‘Anti-Morris Trust’ Regulations Regarding Tax-Free Spin-offs and Related Mergers and Acquisitions,” The M&A Lawyer, 5, no. 1 (May 2001), Swartz, Linda Z. and Alexander F. Anderson
- “Corporate Selection and Formation,” Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation Entrepreneurial Empowerment Workshop Series (May 2019)
- “Opportunity Zones in Sports,” Opal Group Real Estate Investment Summit 2019 (April 2019)
- “Carried Interests After TCJA,” USC Gould School of Law 2019 Tax Institute (January 2019)
- “Current Developments in Transportation Asset Backed Securitizations,” Committee of Banking Institutions on Taxation’s (CBIT) 46th Annual Fall Tax Day (November 2015)