Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
A member of the firm’s Policy Committee and managing partner of the Beijing office, Ke advises clients across numerous industries in connection with financings for Chinese companies, mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate matters.
Ke has been named one of China’s 100 Elite Lawyers by China Business Law Journal for the past three years. Prior to entering the legal profession, he earned a B.S. degree in Biology from Peking University and a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from New York University. Ke led the O’Melveny team for RemeGen’s Hong Kong IPO, which was recognized as Deal of the Year by China Business Law Journal and Megatrend Deal of the Year – Healthcare by FinanceAsia. Ke is highly rated for China capital markets by Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Greater China Region and Chambers Global.
- Mandarin Chinese
Honors & Awards
- Named to the “A-List” of China’s 100 Elite Foreign Lawyers by China Business Law Journal, 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Recognized by Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Greater China Region in the practice area of Capital Markets: Equity (International Firms) - China (2022 and 2023)
- Recognized by Chambers Global in the practice area of Capital Markets: Equity (China) (2022) and Capital Markets: Equity (International Firms) - China (2023)
- Recognized by IFLR1000 as a “Notable Practitioner” in the practice area of Mergers & Acquisitions (China) (2019 - 2021)
- New York
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- New York University, Ph.D., Biochemistry, 2001
- Peking University, B.S. (Biology), 1994
- “Should China Provide Intellectual Property Protection for Genetically Modified Animals?” Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business (Winter 2003)
- Practising Law Institute's "Doing Business in and With China 2021" (December, 2021)
Offshore Public Offerings and Capital Markets
Ke regularly advises companies on offshore listings and other capital market financings; his representations amount to an aggregate financing size of over US$20 billion, including:
Life Sciences, Medical and Healthcare:
- Companies: RemeGen; Akeso Biopharma; Yonghe Medical; Beauty Farm; Shanghai Bio-heart; Cryofocus Medtech; Sipai Health; 3D Medicines; Gaush Meditech; Jenscare Scientific; Rainmed; Gushengtang; Acotec Scientific; Brii Biosciences; Keymed Biosciences; Jacobio Pharmaceuticals; Simcere Pharmaceutical; Honliv Healthcare; Hygeia Healthcare; Peijia Medical; Shanghai Kindly Medical Instruments; Pharmaron; Aesthetic Medical International (Nasdaq); Hua Medicine; ShangPharma (NYSE); Viva Biotech; Shanghai Haohai Biological; 3S Bio (Nasdaq), and Phoenix Healthcare
- Underwriters and Sponsors: Shanghai HeartCare Medical (Goldman Sachs and CICC); Hanyu Medical (on-going), and Wuxi AppTech (NYSE, J.P. Morgan and Credit Suisse)
- Companies: UP Fintech (Nasdaq); Youku.com Inc. (NYSE); RenRen.com Inc. (NYSE); Yeahka; eHi Car Services (NYSE), and Montage (Nasdaq)
- Underwriters and Sponsors: 4Paradigm (on-going, Goldman Sachs and CICC); Huafang Group (Haitong International and CCB International); GDS (J.P. Morgan, BofA Securities, CICC and Haitong International); 58.com (NYSE, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse and Citigroup); Zhongguancun Science-Tech Leasing (Guotai Junan); FingerTango (China Securities (International) Corporate Finance Company Limited); Digital Hollywood (China Securities (International) Corporate Finance Company Limited); Leju Holdings (NYSE, Credit Suisse and J.P. Morgan, China Renaissance, Macquarie Group and China Merchants Securities); Jupai Holdings (NYSE, Cred3it Suisse and China Renaissance); Tarena Technologies (Nasdaq, Credit Suisse and Goldman Sachs); Zero2IPO (Fortune Financial Capital, Fortune Securities, and CICC), and Chen Lin Education Group (First Shanghai Capital)
China CITIC Bank; China Construction Bank Corporation; Dexin China; Bank of Qingdao; Hengxing Gold; China Polymetallic Mining; China Real Estate Information Corporation (Nasdaq); Yuzhou Group; Crystal River Capital (NYSE, underwriters), and NorthStar Realty Finance Corp. (NYSE)
M&A and Going-Private Transactions:
Ke has advised numerous well-known public companies on mergers and acquisitions and going-private transactions, including:
- Acotec Scientific in its approximately US$520 million voluntary partial offer by Boston Scientific
- Viva Biotech in its US$387.3 million acquisition of Langhua Pharmaceutical and US$135.4 million share placement
- TTM technologies (NASDAQ: TTMI), a leading global printed circuit board (PCB) manufacturer, on the US$660 million divestiture of its four China manufacturing plants comprising substantially all of the assets of its Mobility business, to AKM Meadville Electronics (Xiamen) Co., Ltd.
- the management consortium in the US$200 million leveraged acquisition of ATA Online (Beijing) Education Technology Co., Ltd. (ATA Online), a wholly owned subsidiary of ATA Inc. (ATAI)
- the Meinian buyer consortium in a competing going private bid against management for Chinese healthcare Company iKang Healthcare Group (NASDAQ: KANG)
- Sinobioway Biomedicine as buyer consortium in a competing going private bid of Sinovac (NasdaqGS: SVA)
- Pudong Science and Technology Investment (PDSTI) in its US$100 million investment in Icon Aircraft, Inc.
- BGI-Shenzhen in its $117 million acquisition of Complete Genomics (NASDAQ: GNOM) through a tender offer (first tender offer acquisition of a US-based public company by a Chinese company)
- Jiangsu Phoenix Education Publishing Co., Ltd. in its US$80 million acquisition of the assets relating to the children's book business of Publication International Ltd. (PIL) and PIL's subsidiaries
- DaimlerChrysler in its US$7.4 billion sale of Chrysler LLC to Cerberus
Zhaopin (buyer consortium); Homeinns (company); Bona Film (Goldstone Investment as a member of buyer consortium); Luoxin Pharmaceuticals (buyer consortium); ShangPharma (special committee); Feihe (special committee); China Real Estate Information Corporation (the company); China XD Plastics (the company); SORL (the company), and Highpower (Essence International as part of buyer consortium)
Ke has advised on numerous private equity and venture capital transactions in the life sciences, medical and healthcare industries as well as other industries, including:
- Distinct Healthcare; Brii Biosciences; Keymed Biosciences; Acotec Scientific; Peijia Medical; Medbanks Network Technology; Ansun Biopharma; Viva Biotech; Aesthetic Medical International; Livzon Pharmaceutical; 3D Medicines, and Zhongmei Healthcare Group
- a consortium led by Capital Group and Blackstone in the US$600 million pre-IPO investment in Dili Group Holdings
- Och-Ziff Capital Management Group as part of a consortium led by Royal Bank of Scotland plc. in an investment in Bank of China