Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Kurt J. Berney represents technology, fintech, medical equipment/health care, new media, consumer and other companies, as well as the venture capital/private equity funds and investment banks that invest in and provide investment banking services to those companies. Kurt has more than 20 years of experience in diverse practice areas including cross-border mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and private debt and equity financings. He leverages his accounting background and public company governance experience to handle accounting and other special investigations.
Kurt’s representative People’s Republic of China (PRC) clients include companies such as Acorn International, Mindray Medical, and WuXi Pharmatech, and numerous VC/PE and each of the major investment banking firms, including representing the underwriters in the recent LendingClub IPO. He is a frequent speaker/presenter on cross-border M&A transactions, the global IPO process, international capital markets and financing transactions.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Kurt was a partner with Silicon Valley’s largest technology-focused law firm. He also practiced in the New York and Hong Kong offices of a major Wall Street law firm.
Kurt also is a Certified Public Accountant.
- New York
- University of Texas, Austin, J.D., 1988: cum laude; Order of the Coif; associate editor, Texas Law Review
- University of Arizona, Tucson, B.S., Accounting, 1983: with honors, Beta Alpha Psi
- American Bar Association
- Certified Public Accountant
- “Accessing Capital Through Customised PIPE Offerings,” Eurekahedge e-newsletter (November 15, 2016)
- Dragonfly Energy Corp., an energy provider and battery producer, in its definitive business combination with a Nasdaq-listed SPAC company, which will make it a public company valued at US$500 million
- Brii Biosciences Limited in its US$318 million IPO and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Piper Jaffray & Co., JMP Securities LLC, Raymond James & Associates, Inc. and SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Inc. as underwriters in a secondary offering of approximately US$64 million in common stock of Nuvectra Corporation, a neurostimulation medical device company
- Shanghai Haohai Biological (6826.HK) in its US$300 million IPO and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Bank of Qingdao (03866.HK) in its US$531 million IPO and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Fidelity, major shareholder of Innovent Biologics, in Innovent Biologics’ US$412 million IPO on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Pharmaron, an R&D service provider for the life sciences industry, in its proposed Hong Kong IPO
- Hua Medicine (2552.HK) in its US$110 million Chapter 18A biotech company IPO sponsored by Goldman Sachs and CLSA Limited
- Lending Club, as underwriters’ counsel, in its US$1 billion IPO
- WuXi PharmaTech (NYSE: WX) in its US$212 million US IPO