our firm: HISTORY
On January 2, 1885, 26-year-old Henry O’Melveny and 32-year-old Jackson Graves formed the firm of Graves & O’Melveny “for the purpose of practicing Law at the City of Los Angeles,” which at the time was undergoing a transformation that would take it from dusty cattle ranching town to bustling metropolis. What is now the oldest law firm in Los Angeles, the firm would undergo nine name changes—always including the name O’Melveny—before becoming O’Melveny & Myers in 1939. Today, this former two-man practice is an international, 700-lawyer firm with 15 offices in the world’s financial and political centers.
The firm’s rise to national and international prominence owes much to the founders and distinguished lawyers who followed in their footsteps, and their vision informs O’Melveny’s culture to this day. O’Melveny always has been anchored by a focus on client service, dedication to excellence, and deep sense of civic responsibility. Through the years, the firm has not wavered in its steadfast commitment to listen to our clients, build long-term relationships with them, and serve as true partners to help achieve their business goals.
In addition, the leadership of O’Melveny’s late senior partner and former chair Warren Christopher, whose distinguished career in public service is well known, was a guiding force in O'Melveny's diversity, pro bono, and community service efforts. Mr. Christopher, who passed away on March 18, 2011, remains a source of inspiration for those endeavors and to everyone in the firm as we work together as “One O’Melveny."