O’Melveny Partner Lisa Monaco Confirmed as Deputy Attorney GeneralApril 20, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WASHINGTON, D.C.—April 20, 2021—The United States Senate has confirmed President Biden’s nomination of O’Melveny partner Lisa O. Monaco to serve as the 39th Deputy Attorney General of the United States. Monaco will now serve as the No. 2 official and chief operating officer of the U.S. Department of Justice.
Monaco moves into this critical role after two years as a partner in O’Melveny’s New York and Washington, D.C., offices, where she led the firm’s Coronavirus Task Force and served as co-chair of the firm’s Data Security and Privacy practice.
Before joining O’Melveny, Monaco served as homeland security and counterterrorism advisor to President Obama from 2013 to 2017. She also spent 15 years working in senior positions for the Department of Justice and FBI.
“With her unique command of national security, data privacy, and pandemic-response measures, along with her exemplary judgment and temperament, Lisa is the right person at the right time for this critical post. We are incredibly proud of Lisa and thank her for her tireless service to O’Melveny, to our clients and to the nation,” said O’Melveny chair Bradley J. Butwin.
“Lisa is among a distinguished roster of O’Melveny lawyers who have answered the call to serve at the highest levels of government—a storied tradition that is at the core of the firm’s DNA,” Butwin added.
Monaco joins two former O’Melveny partners named to top leadership posts in the Biden Administration: White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain, a partner in Washington, D.C., from 2001 to 2004; and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, a partner in Los Angeles from 2001 to 2009.
O’Melveny TraditionIn addition to Monaco, Klain, and Mayorkas, many dozens of O’Melveny lawyers past and present have served in senior roles in Democratic and Republican administrations, including:
- Warren Christopher (former O’Melveny chair, secretary of state under President Clinton, and deputy attorney general under President Johnson)
- William T. Coleman Jr. (secretary of transportation under President Ford and co-author of the legal brief in Brown v. Board of Education)
- A.B. Culvahouse Jr. (former O’Melveny chair, White House counsel to President Reagan, former U.S. ambassador to Australia under President Trump)
- Walter Dellinger (acting solicitor general under President Clinton)
- Michael Dreeben (deputy solicitor general during Clinton, Bush, and Obama administrations)
- Thomas E. Donilon (former national security advisor under President Obama)
- Brian P. Brooks (former acting comptroller of the currency under President Trump)
- Greg Jacob (former counsel to Vice President Pence)
It’s more than what you do: it’s how you do it. Across sectors and borders, in board rooms and courtrooms, we measure our success by yours. And in our interactions, we commit to making your O’Melveny experience as satisfying as the outcomes we help you achieve. Our greatest accomplishment is ensuring that you never have to choose between premier lawyering and exceptional service. So, tell us. What do you want to achieve? Visit us at www.omm.com or learn more in our firm at-a-glance, annual report, and on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Visit The Boardroom for our insights on pressing issues facing global corporations.
O’Melveny & Myers LLP
+1 212 326 2218