Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Alexander Roberts is a business tax lawyer. His extensive practice focuses primarily on federal tax aspects of corporate and partnership tax planning and structuring. Alexander also has significant experience in advising clients in connection with ongoing REIT compliance and structuring issues.
In this capacity, he has significant experience advising clients in connection with the structuring and funding of projects involving renewable and clean energy, including wind, solar, geothermal and other alternative energy sources, as well as representing clients in connection with mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, restructurings, and bankruptcies.
Alexander is firmly committed to guiding his clients through complex and critical tax matters. He works diligently to fully understand his clients’ businesses and the various tax implications that impact their operations.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by The Legal 500 US for Tax - US Taxes (2019-2022) and recommended for Energy: Renewable/Alternative Power (2020-2021)
- New York
- New York University, J.D., 2009
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., History, 2005: cum laude
Selected Renewable Energy Representations
- Citicorp North America and Berkshire Hathaway Energy in their:
- acquisition of preferred equity interests in the 160 MW Rattlesnake wind power project developed by Goldwind Americas in McCulloch County, Texas
- acquisition of preferred equity interests in the 300 MW South Plains II wind power project developed by Sun Edison in Floyd County, Texas
- Citicorp North America in connection with its acquisition of preferred equity interests in the approximately 55 MW Gray Hawk solar power project developed by D.E. Shaw Renewable Investments in Kingman, Arizona
- Leading financial institution in its:
- acquisition of preferred equity interests in, and project financing of, three wind power projects located in California, Indiana, and Nebraska
- acquisition of preferred equity interests in the White Pine and White Oak solar power projects, collectively worth approximately US$349 million, developed by NextEra Energy, Inc. in Georgia
- acquisition of preferred equity interests in the approximately US$403 million Live Oak, River Bend, and Chaves solar power projects developed by NextEra Energy, Inc. in Georgia, Alabama, and New Mexico, respectively
- acquisition of approximately US$200 million in preferred equity interests in the Cotton Plains, Old Settler, and Phantom Solar power projects developed by Apex Clean Energy Holdings, LLC in Texas
- John Laing Group plc in its:
- acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Sterling Wind power project being developed by Akuo Energy USA, Inc., a French developer of renewable energy projects, in Lea County, New Mexico
- $100 million investment in the 149 MW Rocksprings wind project in Texas.
- Leading financial institution in connection with the Bloom Wind power project developed by Capital Power in Ford and Clark Counties, Kansas
- Citicorp North America and Berkshire Hathaway Energy in connection with the US$390 million South Plains Wind Energy II power project developed by SunEdison, Inc. in Floyd County, Texas
- Citicorp North America and Berkshire Hathaway Energy in connection with the US$219 million Shannon wind power project being developed by Alterra Power Corp. and Starwood Energy Group in Clay and Jack Counties, Texas
- The acquisition by Goldman Sachs and one of its wholly-owned subsidiaries from BayWa r.e. Wind, LLC of the Anderson Wind Project consisting of two wind projects located in Chaves County, New Mexico
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Osage wind power project developed by Enel Green Power North America Inc.
- The acquisition by Macquarie Infrastructure Company of interests from Exergy Development Group in a portfolio of wind power projects in Idaho
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the approximately US$580 million Origin and Goodwell wind power projects developed by Enel Green Power North America Inc.
- The first-ever wind power generation investment by Macquarie Infrastructure Company through its acquisition of the Brahms wind power project in New Mexico from BayWa r.e. Wind, LLC
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Route 66 wind power project developed by First Wind Energy
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Panhandle II wind power project developed by Pattern Energy Group
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Buffalo Dunes wind power project developed by Enel Green Power North America Inc.
- The financing of a portfolio of baseload fuel cell electricity generators to be located in California, Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York by Bloom Energy Corporation, including a long-term strategic partnership with Exelon Generation Company to install Bloom Energy Servers
- The acquisition, construction and term financing, and tax equity financing on behalf of an affiliate of Macquarie Infrastructure Company of a series of solar power projects
- The establishment of a joint venture to provide solar energy services to large-scale solar power projects and the acquisition of various solar power projects for Building Energy S.p.A. as part of its entry into the U.S. renewable energy market
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Canadian Hills wind power project developed by Atlantic Power Corporation
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Chisholm View wind power project developed by Enel Green Power North America Inc.
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Prairie Rose wind power project developed by Enel Green Power North America Inc.
- The acquisition of preferred equity interests in the Rocky Ridge wind power project developed by Enel Green Power North America Inc.
Selected Mergers and Acquisitions Representations
- Investors including Hollywood producer Jerry Bruckheimer in David Bonderman and Oak View Group’s acquisition of NHL Seattle expansion franchise
- David Tepper, founder and president of global hedge fund Appaloosa Management, in his US$2.275 billion acquisition of the NFL Carolina Panthers
- TTM Technologies, Inc. in its US$775 million acquisition of Anaren, Inc. from Veritas Capital
- Dealertrack Technologies, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of VINtek, Inc.
- SteelRiver Infrastructure Partners in connection with the acquisition of numerous energy and other infrastructure investments
- Macquarie in connection with various acquisitions of airport service businesses
- Dealertrack Technologies, Inc. in its US$1 billion cash and stock acquisition of Dealer Dot Com, Inc.
- MetLife, Inc. in connection with certain restructuring transactions related to recent multi-billion dollar divestitures and acquisitions
- AGL Resources Inc. in connection with its US$3.1 billion merger with Nicor, Inc.
Selected Capital Markets Representations
- Yahoo! Inc. in connection with a private placement of US$1,437,500,000 aggregate principal amount of 0.00% Convertible Senior Notes due 2018 and concurrent convertible note hedge and warrant transactions
- Underwriters in US $1.5 billion global notes offering for Toyota Motor Credit
- Underwriters in offerings of debt convertible securities and common stock of Wellpoint, Inc.
- Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation’s US $1 billion offering of medium-term notes
- Underwriters in US $1.25 billion Prologis notes issue and dealer managers in US $750 million tender offer
- Underwriters in offerings of common stock, debt and capital securities of BB&T Corporation
- Underwriters in offerings of debt securities of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Underwriters in offerings of debt securities of Nordstrom, Inc.
- Underwriters in offerings of common stock, debt, capital and convertible securities of U.S. Bancorp
Selected Restructuring Representations
- Agent bank in prearranged chapter 11 restructuring of Castex Energy Partners, L.P.
- Ambac Financial Group, Inc. in connection with its debt restructuring, IRS controversy and the largest financial services chapter 11 filing in 2010
Selected REIT Representations
- Advising publicly-traded REITs regarding numerous REIT compliance issues, including various UPREIT structures, ownership requirements and related matters
- Advising publicly-traded REITs and investors in connection with debt and equity issuances