Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Alex Reed is a litigator with a wide range of experience defending clients in civil and criminal matters. A member of the firm’s Financial Services group, Alex focuses his practice on ERISA class action defense. He has achieved favorable outcomes for clients facing complex fiduciary breach and prohibited transaction claims in federal court, earning their trust through his attention to detail, mastery of the facts, and thoughtful legal solutions. Alex also provides strategic counseling to retirement plans and financial services companies on compliance with the ERISA statute and in matters before the Department of Labor.
Alex is also a member of the firm’s White Collar Defense & Corporate Investigations group, where he has guided individuals and corporations through sensitive internal investigations and in high-stakes matters before various federal agencies, state Attorneys General, and committees of Congress.
In his pro bono practice, Alex devotes his time advocating for indigent clients seeking postconviction relief.
- District of Columbia
- University of Michigan, J.D.: cum laude
- Kenyon College, B.A., Psychology
- Obtained partial denial of class certification and won summary judgment on remaining class claims in ERISA action alleging excessive investment-related and recordkeeping fees against HR firm’s multiple-employer plans
- Obtained denial of class certification of massive putative multi-plan class alleging asset manager’s securities lending compensation violated ERISA
- Obtained dismissal of stock drop class action alleging breaches of ERISA in connection with healthcare merger
- Authored amicus briefs supporting the dismissal of ERISA class actions in federal district and appellate courts
- Guided financial services company through internal investigation of compliance with Department of Labor regulations under ERISA
- Counseled financial services company regarding scope of ERISA fiduciary obligations with respect to individual investment offerings made available through self-directed brokerage window
- Counseled hedge fund on legal implications of managing ERISA assets
White Collar Defense & Corporate Investigations
- Obtained partial summary judgment for nonprofit in high-profile civil suit brought by State Attorney General alleging corporate waste, and favorable settlement of remaining claims
- Represented former political advisor in capacity as a witness in various investigations by Department of Justice and state-level prosecutors
- Represented leading global semiconductor company in internal investigation of whistleblower allegations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations
- Represented political committee in connection with response to subpoenas from multiple United States Attorneys’ Offices and State Attorneys General
- Represented large healthcare company in internal investigation of subsidiary’s business practices
- Represented engineering company in plea negotiations with Department of Justice related to US government contract
- Represented airline in Department of Transportation investigation of tarmac delays
- Represented former government official in connection with FBI investigation of CFIUS approval of foreign transaction
- Represented former Counsel to the Vice President before the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the United States Capitol
- Represented 501(c)(4) political committee in connection with response to related subpoenas by House Judiciary Committee and House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Counseled automobile manufacturer on response to and likelihood of potential congressional investigation regarding labor and employment practices
- Obtained recommended vacatur of intellectual disabled client’s capital sentence under Atkins in state court habeas action